This position performs duties relating to wildlife management and use of techniques aimed at controlling damage caused by wildlife to help protect agriculture, natural resources, property, and threats to human health and safety. The work is primarily concerned with wildlife damage management (WDM) operations relating to the assessment, reduction, and/or elimination of problems associated with wild and/or feral animal species in urban, suburban, and rural environments.Learn more about this agency
- The duties described are for the full-performance level. At developmental grade levels, assignments will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity.
- The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for planning, organizing, and conducting direct control operations to reduce wildlife damage within a geographical area or technical/subject area of program involvement.
- Inspects and surveys areas and, as necessary, will revise existing WDM programs.
- Incumbent exercises a high degree of independence in determining strategies and logistics for providing services in assigned area.
- May be required to use chemical immobilization and euthanasia drugs to capture and handle wildlife.
- Uses WDM tools/devices which may include some or all of the following depending on need in assigned area: firearms; foothold, body-grip, cage traps; foot snares; and others.
- Correctly identifies current, and forecasts future, damage problems and relates them to the damage-causing species.
- Independently determines and selects the most effective means of control for individual situations.
- Recommends and facilitates the request and issuance of depredation permits for the general public through the appropriate U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Migratory Bird Office.
- Enters data into established WDM database/system of record. Uses data to prepare and submit routine and special reports regarding daily, weekly or monthly activities, observations, and events.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/599566900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.