Minimum Qualification Requirements:
To qualify for this position you must meet the (1) Basic Educational Requirements AND (2) Specialized Experience for the series to which you are applying.
(1) Basic Educational Requirements:
1) Degree that included 3 semester hours each in the following course areas:
- History of archeology.
- Archeology of a major geographical area such as North America or Africa.
- Regional archeology, archeological cultures, or sites in a specific part or portion of a major geographical area to acquire or develop a foundation for regional specialization for professional development.
- Theory and methods of archeology. Methods include, but are not limited to, typology, classification, sampling, cultural evolution, diffusion, dating, and analytical techniques.
- Archeological field school, to provide a basic understanding of theoretical and practical approaches to research design implementation, field preservation techniques, and report preparation by participation in actual field work.
Six semester hours of related course work in:
- geography, geology, or cultural geography;
- history, historiography, or historical archeology;
- environmental studies;
- scientific writing (nonfiction English composition); and/or
Archeological field school.
2) Related Curriculum:
degree in anthropology (with emphasis on ethnology, physical anthropology, or scientific linguistics), history, American studies, or a related discipline may be accepted as satisfying in full the educational requirements, provided the curriculum supplied academic course work sufficiently similar to the requirements in A.1 (including archeological field school).
B. Combination of Education and Experience:
College-level education or training that provided knowledge equivalent to that described in A above, plus appropriate technical experience or additional education.
Four years of archeological work experience that demonstrated a thorough knowledge of the fundamental principles and theories of professional archeology. The work experience must have included archeology field experience, which may include that gained in an archeological field school. Field experience should have included a combination of professional experience in archeological survey, excavation, laboratory analysis, and preparation of written materials. Applicants with such field experience should, after additional experience under the direction of a higher grade archeologist, be able to demonstrate the ability to be a crew chief, directing the work of others at a single location as a part of a larger archeological project.
history; or related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history.
B. Combination of education and experience:
courses equivalent to a major in history, or a major in a related field that included at least 18 semester hours in history, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
(2) Specialized Experience:
To qualify for the GS-14
, you must possess at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13
grade level in the Federal service, or comparable experience not gained through Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. Specialized experience is defined as demonstrated experience: 1)
leading or coordinating consultations under the National Historic Preservation Act; 2)
leading and tracking the work of a team; 3)
identifying and mitigating stakeholder concerns regarding impacts on historic and cultural properties; and 4)
preparing and/or reviewing environmental compliance documents. Must meet all.
Additional information on the qualification requirements is outlined in the OPM Qualification Standards Handbook of General Schedule Positions and is available at OPM's website: https://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/indexes/num-ndx.asp
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.