The Science & Exploration Directorate, Solar System Exploration Division, Astrochemistry Laboratory (Code 691) is seeking a cross-disciplinary scientist to study agnostic biosignatures. The successful candidate will coordinate research across disciplines that will focus ocean worlds, astrobiology, and exoplanet science and technology. The research is expected to place an emphasis on geochemistry, biochemistry, prebiotic chemistry, and technology development.Learn more about this agency
- Apply scientific methods, including exploring and defining problems, planning the approach for study, analyzing data, conducting or analyzing field work, interpreting results, and documenting or reporting findings.
- Design or direct the development of unique or leading-edge experimental systems to meet specific scientific or mission requirements relating to these objects.
- Document and report study results to management and contractors.
- Perform a key role in resolving issues that significantly affect both research and flight programs related to life detection approaches and technologies.
- Perform experiments related to solar system, ocean worlds, Mars, and an astrobiology interpretation of data or characterization of compounds and processes to differentiate biological from geochemical and atmospheric sources.
- Plan, coordinate, conduct experimental studies in disciplines such as geochemistry, biochemistry, prebiotic chemistry, and tech development resulting in design guidelines that would affect program/mission capability and operating procedures.
- Provide guidance and technical advice to other scientists and program specialists in agnostic biosignatures.
- Provide research, but are not limited to, empirical and theoretical investigations in agnostic biosignatures (life as we do not know it) with a focus on distinguishing abiotic from biotic chemistry.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597755900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.