This position is located in the Soil and Water Conservation Research Unit, Pacific West Region, Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA).Learn more about this agency
This position will support the operational requirements of research programs. This includes conducting molecular and bioinformatic analyses, statistics, visualization, and assisting with data interpretation to solve complex biological research problems using computational approaches and molecular analyses.
- Applying a variety of interdisciplinary approaches for molecular characterization of microbial and plant genetic responses to environmental variables.
- Analyzes microbial or plant genetic material (DNA, RNA) to understand responses of the microbial communities, plants, and plant pathogens to environmental stress and management practices.
- Prepares and maintains records of data analyses procedures used and how results were generated in order to make computational research completely reproducible.
- Selects appropriate computational analyses, methods, and tools for data visualization; and with supervisor or collaborators assists in the interpretation of molecular biological data.
- Conducts bioinformatics analyses with strategic selection of bioinformatics software and tools and meaningful interpretation and compilations of analytical results.
- Uses genomic tools and databases using programming and script languages in support of assigned genomic research projects including programming languages such as Python, R, Perl, Java and SQL.
- Install and test implementation of data pipelines and software.
- Conducts molecular and data analyses (e.g., genome assembly, transcriptomics, metagenomics, amplicon sequence analysis,, differential expression analysis), using appropriate scripting languages and bioinformatics tools.
- Modifies existing methods of analysis to improve accuracy and efficiency resolve problems with specific systems, protocols or sample types.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597310000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.