This position is located within the Agricultural Research Service, Tropical Plant Genetic Resources & Disease Research Unit in Hilo, HI.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent will be responsible for operating field type tractors having 4 wheels and up to 8 forward gears while making multiple connections and adjustments such as setting the depth of plow blades, height of mower blades, and height/angle of tractor mounted tree pruners.
- Operates field type tractor having 4 wheels and up to 8 forward gears steered with a conventional steering wheel.
- Sets the depth of plow blades, height of mower blades, and height and angle of tractor mounted tree pruners typically operated with hydraulic or manual controls.
- Makes difficult judgments concerning tractor operations in selecting gears, power settings, and speeds for equipment operations and the order in which the work is to be accomplished.
- Makes multiple connections between the tractor and attached or towed equipment which require skill and knowledge to hook up and align more difficult connections such as mechanical drive shafts and hydraulic lines for power and control systems.
- Performs the work according to established methods or special instructions such as the depth to be plowed, spacing between furrows, and mowing height and tree pruning heights.
- Has knowledge of both tractor and equipment operating characteristics such as tractor gears, power ratios, braking and turning capacities, and equipment power requirements, capacities and operating speeds.
- Determines if tractor and equipment is not in working order and safely determine if repairs or maintenance is needed.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/597161700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.