What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
This is a term appointment not to exceed 13 months with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
- GS-11: $64,649(Step 01) to $84,049 (Step 10);
- GS-12: $77,488 (Step 01) to $100,739 (Step 10)
As a Fish Biologist within the Western Fisheries Research Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Plans and conducts studies and investigations concerning biological, chemical, and physical processes that affect aquatic communities and ecosystems.
- Carries out investigations of fishery conservation, preservation, and propagation issues.
- Establishes new and modified methods, techniques, and procedures to improve aquatic species habitat; determines the impact of new programs on targeted species; and satisfies specialized and conflicting biological requirements. Writes reports that detail results and conclusions.
- Plans, develops, conducts, and modifies physiological and biochemical tests to determine the effects of varied fishery chemicals on aquatic organisms.
- Formulates plans for major fishery projects to investigate novel biological science problems.
- Trains less experienced technicians in methods and techniques required to conduct data collection and in maintenance of instrumentation and other technology used for data collection.
- Operates a government owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
Work Environment: Work is performed in an office, laboratory, and/or in the field. The office is adequately lighted, heated, and ventilated. Temperature and weather extremes may be encountered in the performance of the outdoor work. Field and laboratory duties may require the use of special protective gear. The incumbent is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as not to endanger self, fellow workers, or property with which entrusted.
There is one vacancy; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position an average of 5 nights per month.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/596779300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.