This position is located in a designated NRCS Soil Survey Office (SSO).Learn more about this agency
The selectee will serve as a Major Land Resource Area (MLRA) Soil Survey Leader. The leadership includes coordination, quality control, technical guidance, and staff assistance for all phases of initial mapping, updating, maintaining, and producing of soil surveys within the framework of the National Cooperative Soil Survey (NCSS) Program and the NRCS objective of a seamless digital soil survey of the nation.
- Prepare soil survey workload analysis, evaluations, soil survey area long range plans, project plans, and annual plan of operations for soil survey areas.
- Develop and implement ways to improve the efficiency, productivity, and quality of the Soil Survey and products and/or services provided to internal and external customers.
- Perform field tests to aid in classification, mapping, and interpretation of the soils in the survey area, with emphasis on benchmark soil landscape concepts.
- Study the characteristics of soils, geology, topography, and landforms over the survey area to ensure consistency of map units.
- Write technical and nontechnical materials that relate to the soils and the soil survey and leads to the development of soil survey information and reports for assigned areas.
- Evaluate map units of survey areas to plan the most feasible method of updating map units to current standards and achieve a seamless digital soil survey of the nation.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/595767900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.