The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has an immediate need to employ residents of Greenbelt, MD and all surrounding counties and cites as temporary local hires to assist with disaster response and recovery efforts. Local hire employees are local residents who aid in the recovery of the community and help their fellow citizens in the recovery process. Apply for this exciting opportunity!
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling on those who want to help protect American interests and secure our Nation. DHS Components work collectively to prevent terrorism; secure borders and our transportation systems; protect the President and other dignitaries; enforce and administer immigration laws; safeguard cyberspace; and ensure resilience to disasters. We achieve these vital missions through a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
Local Hire employees:
- Help FEMA respond to, recover from and mitigate all hazards by performing a variety of emergency management functions which are not limited to disaster survivor assistance, conducting and verifying damage assessments, and providing administrative, financial and logistical support.
- A local hire’s term of employment is 120 days. Local Hire appointments may be extended, in 120 day increments, for a maximum 365 day appointment, based on the needs of the disaster.
- Work within 23 different Cadres which are groups of personnel organized by operational function and FEMA Qualification System (FQS) position.
- Each Local Hire is hired to a position within a Cadre based on his or her skills and experience.
FEMA is seeking candidates with experience in customer support and/or emergency management. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication, interpersonal and customer service skills as well as basic computer literacy.
In this position, you will serve as a member of the vaccination support staff. Duties will be based upon functional position and assignments may include:
- Supporting community vaccination centers’ plans, policies, and procedures to ensure essential functions are executed and consistent with statutory and agency requirements.
- Facilitating on-going communications between operations staff and the general public.
- Performing on-site duties that include greeting and assisting individuals, call center support and outreach, entering data, providing basic administrative support and facility maintenance.
- Reviewing registration forms and requirements for Federal and/or State vaccination programs and preparing correspondences/communication for required follow-up actions.
- Observing and questioning patients post-vaccination for adverse reactions.
- Assisting with the set-up, signage, and traffic control at the vaccination centers.
- Assisting in preparing field office emergency management plans and policies, procedures, and risk assessments to ensure essential functions are executed, and are consistent with statutory and agency requirements.
- Facilitating on-going communications with internal operations staff and corresponding operational staff of other Federal agencies.
- Analyzing inspection reports, final vouchers, and Federal and/or State audit reports on public assistance programs and preparing recommendations for required follow-up actions.
- Writing technical materials, including reports of research findings, technical reports and specifications.
PPE will be supplied and required. COVID-19 vaccinations will be available to FEMA employees. However, if selected, there will be a requirement to start working on-site even if you haven't received the vaccination.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/595134500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.