This position provides professional program management for our broad portfolio of activities in high-resolution imaging of supermassive black holes. The Program Manager provides leadership in deployment and tracking of resources, communication and coordination with sponsors and partners, organizational development, and operational effectiveness.Learn more about this agency
- Creates a detailed work plan for all aspects of the ngEHT project. Works with the PI, PE and PS to establish work breakdown structures, task dependencies, risk assessments, resource requirements, budgets and allocation, communication and reporting protocols, internal and external reviews, schedules, and priorities. Specific elements of the work plan include multiple technical design and construction efforts, monitor and control systems for the distributed array, logistics for array operations, development of a data processing/analysis software pipeline, organization and coordination of science output and EPO (education and public outreach).
- Coordinates project implementation and management. The PM has responsibility for managing day-to-day operational aspects of the ngEHT and EHT projects including:
- Tracking project progress using tools and techniques such as MS Project and Earned Value Management.
- Managing project budgets.
- Organizing reviews for project milestones.
- Tracking Science Requirements and Technical Specifications.
- Supporting coordination of EHT observation campaigns.
- Managing personnel and hiring within the project.
- Coordinating procurement and property management.
- Identifying problems and risks and working with the PI to resolve them.
- Leading project teams to ensure projects are executed efficiently, and project deliverables are on track, on budget, and properly resourced.
- Leads and coordination with partners. Sets and communicates goals and objectives across collaborations. Maintains program visibility for the PI across international platforms by attending related conferences and meetings. Interacts with senior management at high profile international astronomical research facilities, universities, and institutes to coordinate global activities of the EHT/ngEHT, including the development and negotiation of Memoranda of Understanding (MoU), Letters of Intent (LoI), and similar contractual agreements. Coordinates ngEHT communication with Smithsonian Institution and SAO administrative stakeholders, including but not limited to the Office General Counsel, Bureau of International Affairs, Export Control and Compliance for EAR and ITAR matters, Financial Management, Sponsored Projects, Procurement and Human Resources.
- Interacts with funding agencies and coordinates program administration. Prepares and presents progress reports for funding agencies and internal project needs. The PM is responsible for all administrative aspects of grant management, ensuring that project milestones and budgets are met and status communicated; and satisfying contractual reporting requirements.
- Participates in the development of future EHT-related initiatives. Identifies new opportunities and strategizes with PI and scientists on potential projects. Generates project management content including budgets, schedules, and descriptions of the planned approach. Assists with writing and editing, and oversees proposal submission. Develops and presents technical and programmatic briefings and status reviews in support of new proposals. Coordinates the contribution of other team members. Manages proposal development schedules and processes.
- Engages in general SAO Project Management Activities. The PM will participate on proposal and project review panels for efforts outside of the R&G Division e.g. proposal red team reviews. The PM will work with PIs to generate proposal development plans as well as proposal programmatic content such as the budget, schedule, and management approach. As necessary, the PM will coordinate proposal efforts across the institution with SAO Central Engineering, the Financial Management Division, and the Director’s Office. The incumbent will support other projects ensuring their financial and contractual reporting obligations are met. Most generally, the PM will act as a general resource providing PIs with guidance on program management and formal management processes. Finally, the PM will support program initiatives led by the Director’s Office that aim to improve the overall functioning of SAO e.g. Program Management Council.
The Program Manager will be required to file a Confidential Statement of Employment and Financial Interests (SI Form 1085).
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required to attend meetings, presentations, etc.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/594911800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.