This position is a Biological Science Tech (Wildlife), GS- 0404-7 working in Kilauea, Hawaii for the R1-Kauai National Wildlife Refuge Complex.Learn more about this agency
This is a term position expected to last 13 months but may be extended up to a total of 4 years.
As a Biological Science Tech (Wildlife) your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assists in the planning and implementation of wildlife censuses and surveys and recommends wildlife management practices. Assists in planning multifaceted wildlife studies by contributing ideas, determining research methods, establishing practical procedures for accomplishing and reporting the work and determining other needs, such as costs, equipment and personnel.
- Monitors and assists in control of wildlife, plant disease outbreaks, pest plant control, mowing/seeding activities and vegetation removal.
- Assist in monitoring and controlling invasive plants and animals and disease outbreaks (such as herbicide treatments, trapping, hunting, habitat modifications, and integrated pest management ) and making science-based recommendations for adaptive management.
- Captures, applies visual and radio tags, and gathers physiological and spatial data on wildlife.
- Monitors elements of the physical environment, such as temperature, precipitation, stream flow, snow depth, wind speed, and humidity.
- Develops databases and analyzes data using standard statistical methods and procedures in preparation of wildlife reports. Enters and retrieves data from the Geographic Information System and/or other information management systems. Develops graphs, charts and illustrations for reports and technical publications using computer software, such as Microsoft PowerPoint and Harvard graphics.
- Operates farm tractors, light trucks, vehicles, small water craft and various other equipment such as generators, radios, radio tracking equipment, water monitoring equipment, global positioning systems and cameras.
- Provides work direction and guidance to biological technicians and volunteers and YCC enrollees, including safe handling of tools and operation of motorized vehicles and water craft.
- Attends meetings with landowners, sports groups and local units of government.
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592843600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.