WHAT IS THE RESEARCH, APPLIED ANALYTICS AND STATISTICS (RAAS) DIVISION? Research, Applied Analytics, and Statistics (RAAS) anticipates and meets customers’ needs by providing leading research, analytical, statistical, and technology services. RAAS provides an intellectually challenging and supportive environment for our employees.
See Other Information for Locations.Learn more about this agency
WHAT DOES A MATHEMATICAL STATISTICIAN DO? As a Mathematical Statistician you will be responsible to design, develop, and implement mathematical statistical projects, studies, and proposals that affect the programs and policies of the Internal Revenue Service. You will be required to provide professional assistance to senior staff members or management.
As a Mathematical Statistician you will:
- Review the application of mathematical statistical methodology used throughout the Service to ensure consistency with accepted mathematical statistical standards.
- Participate in evaluating and documenting the project results, and help prepare recommendations based on mathematical statistical findings.
- Keep superiors and others who have a need to know informed of the progress of studies and projects during all phases.
- Plan projects and studies, including the resources required, the objectives, time frames, and involvement or other functions, and help obtain any necessary approvals.
- Interpret mathematical statistical limitations and qualifications of study results in terms, which are technically correct, and at the same time meaningful to non-statisticians.
- Assist higher graded mathematical statisticians conduct research in the development of mathematical statistical techniques applicable to Service operations.
- Advise analysts in the evaluating and documenting project results and preparing recommendations based on mathematical statistical findings.
- Ensure appropriate mathematical, statistical, and research techniques are used based on observations in related areas
If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform all these duties, and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov/
Occasional travel - 1 TO 05 NIGHTS PER MONTH
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592707400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.