- Salary: GS-07 $43,683 (Step 01) to $56,790 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Chemist within the Columbia Research Environmental Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Perform sample processing and chemical analyses on environmental samples (sediments, tissues, water, and passive samplers).
- Perform routine calculations and report data and findings to project leads.
- Identifies abnormal situations and recommends modifications to methods as appropriate.
- Assist with shipping, receipt, and collection of samples from the lab and field.
- Assist with inventory and documentation of chemicals, samples, instrument logs, and other records required by the USGS Quality Management System.
- Operates a government owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
Work Environment: The work is largely performed in a modern chemical laboratory with adequate cooling, heating, ventilation, and lighting. Occasional work in the field collecting samples may be required. Field work may include walking on uneven ground, hiking distances up to one mile, working near water, and potentially on boats. The work involves regular and recurring handling of radioactive and hazardous chemicals. Special safety precautions are required and the incumbent uses protective clothing and gear such as a laboratory coat, safety glasses, gloves, safety shoes, and a face respirator. The incumbent is expected to conduct duties in a safe and orderly manner so as to not endanger self, fellow workers, or property with which entrusted.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel up to 2 nights per month for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/592276500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.