**THIS ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN AMENDED AND EDITED TO CLEARLY OUTLINE THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE BAND CN-71 LEVEL**
This position is located in one of the Attorney Groups of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), including, but not limited to, the Offices of Enforcement, Supervision Policy, Regulations, Fair Lending & Equal Opportunity, and the Legal Division.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent will serve as a legal advisor on issues related to enforcement of consumer financial law, drafting of consumer financial regulation, supervision of bank and non-bank entities, operations and other general laws applicable to CFPB, or any issue under the jurisdiction of the Bureau. The following are the duties of this position at the CN-71 (broadly equivalent to the GS-15). If you are selected at a lower grade level, your duties will be adjusted accordingly. Attorneys at CFPB may be eligible for promotions subject to the Bureau’s Attorney Hiring & Promotion Policy.
- Develops and executes investigation and enforcement strategy, such as the use of informal and formal requests for information, civil investigative demands, and witness interviews for enforcement matters.
- Conducts analysis of factual and legal issues presented provide definitive analysis and advice to senior management. Drafts and reviews memoranda analyzing legal and policy issues, amendments to regulations, Congressional testimony, official CFPB interpretations, and analyses of proposed legislation, rules and policies. Provides explanations and advice on complex technical aspects of statutes and regulations to management.
- Engages extensively in legal research and writing, identifying legal issues, proposing resolutions, constructing alternative arguments and solutions, and recommending alternative courses of action in cases involving complex facts and no clear-cut precedent. Consults with fellow legal staff and other Bureau subject matter experts on relevant issues to develop strategies to address emerging concerns.
- Participates in and may lead complex rulemaking projects, such as major regulatory amendments or implementing legislation in the area of consumer financial services. Reviews public comments and drafts proposed and final regulations for consideration and makes oral presentations to senior management to defend positions, develop policy and resolve issues.
- Provides legal research and guidance to issues arising from complex consumer compliance and fair lending examinations. Analyzes compliance efforts and makes recommendations on how regulatory compliance efforts impact consumers.
- May represent the Bureau at hearings in federal court and administrative proceedings in enforcement actions involving consumer-finance laws with regard to products, services, and fair lending practices.
- Responds to inquiries from CFPB staff, other federal and state agencies, Congressional staff, private counsel, and the public relating to the interpretation of consumer financial services laws and other regulatory matters.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel may be required.
00 - Applicants will be selected at any one of the advertised grades based on experience and accomplishments. Candidates may be considered for promotion in accordance with Bureau policy, which does not guarantee advancement to the next grade level.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/591600300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.