This position is located in the Office of the Superintendent, United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA), Maritime Administration (MARAD). This position is established to assist the Director of Public Safety and senior leadership in the planning, coordinating, and implementation of environmental activities of the USMMA.Learn more about this agency
As an Environmental Protection Specialist, you will:
- Administer and direct environmental programs at the Academy. Perform surveys, inspections, and evaluations in the areas of waste management, pollution control, fire prevention and control, etc. Serves as the liaison with federal, state, and local agencies on pollution abatement and furnish advice and guidance on complex issues.
- Serves as monitor for all activities at the Academy which may generate hazardous waste and intervenes directly in those activities which require immediate corrective action. Review proposed environmental regulations, public notices, environmental news, and technological developments to determine areas which may impact the Academy. Conduct training and promotional awareness activities from top management to the lowest working levels.
- Serve as the Contracting Officer Representative (COR) and/or inspector on all environmental compliance issues.
- Prepare environmental documentation for presentation to a variety of federal and state agencies.
- Develop correspondence for higher authority signature with regard to specific planning, compliance, protection, and regulatory issues.
The ideal candidate should possess knowledge in performing technical duties in regards to the overall environmental protection program, serving as a management representative dealing with emergency management, hazardous waste, environmental protection and other environmental risk and pollution incidents.
Occasional travel - Some travel will be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589612000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.