The Substation Operator Apprenticeship program is a formal 3 ½-year program consisting of seven steps (training periods). The apprentice must pass an oral review at the end of each step to remain in this program. Apprentices will be promoted to journeyman after successfully passing the seventh step examination.
The apprentice is expected to gain knowledge of various work processes with progressively difficult assignments throughout their apprenticeship.
This announcement is also being advertised under Merit Promotion as announcement DOE-BPA-21-14364-MP. If you are a status candidate or intend to apply under a Special Hiring Authority, please apply under the Merit Promotion announcement.
A successful candidate in the position of Substation Operator Apprentice II will, under direct supervision of a journeyman Substation Operator or another journeyman Electrical Worker, operating high voltage electrical equipment in electrical power transmission system substations and on transmission lines. Specific tasks vary with the type of substation to be operated.
A Substation Operator Apprentice II:
- Operates energized high and low voltage electrical power transmission system substations following strict procedures and safety requirements.
- Checks and reviews station conditions. Responsible for station security and safety of others in the station.
- Performs inspections on all high and low voltage equipment in substations and keeps records. Periodically inspects station, including all components in the switchyard, outlying buildings, and the perimeter of the property.
- Monitors and operates various communications systems. All processes require clear oral communication.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
- Drives 15-20% of the time in all weather conditions.
To be eligible for the Recent Graduate program you must be a:
Recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or
certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
Student who within nine months of the closing date of this announcement will meet the education requirements and will graduate with a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters,
professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. A student may not be appointed to a position until they have
Preference eligible veteran who was precluded from applying due to their military service obligation beginning of their two-year eligibility period, upon release, or discharge from active duty.
Eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed six years after degree or certificate completion.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel - Drives 15-20% of the time in all weather conditions
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589396600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.