The Lineman Apprenticeship program is a formal 4-year program consisting of 8 steps of 6 months each. The apprentice must pass an examination following each 6-month step to remain in this program. Apprentices will be promoted to journeyman after successfully passing the eighth step examination.
The apprentice is expected to gain knowledge of various work processes with progressively difficult assignments throughout their apprenticeship.Learn more about this agency
A successful candidate in the position of Lineman Apprentice II will, under the direct supervision of a Journeyman Lineman or Lineman Foreman, be trained to maintain and construct high voltage lines throughout the Northwest. Lineman Apprentices will be trained to perform this work on wood pole and steel tower lines through 500kV alternating current (AC) and lO00kV direct current (DC).
A Lineman Apprentice II:
- Performs construction and maintenance work (including hot line maintenance) on either wood pole or steel tower lines including excavations and footings, framing and erecting towers and poles, hanging insulators and hardware, and stringing, sagging and clipping conductors.
- Replaces or repairs damaged steel towers, wood poles, crossarms, and conductors; relocates towers and poles; inspects and treats wood poles; and replaces insulators.
- Performs, or supervises, right-of-way maintenance work such as brush and weed control, cutting or topping dangerous trees, seeding cover crops for erosion control.
- Repairs access roads and installs or repairs bridges, culverts, fences and gates.
- Maintains microwave towers, antennas, and airway lighting installations; performs maintenance tasks in substations, involving overhead line work and other tasks requiring the use of line maintenance equipment.
- Patrols transmission lines and reports conditions of lines.
- Takes clearances and occasionally performs switching at unattended substations and line sectionalizing disconnect switches.
- Completes associated documentation required of the above listed tasks.
- Drives 25-30% of the time in all weather conditions.
50% or less - Drives 25-30% of the time in all weather conditions.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/589396400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.