The incumbent provides engineering assistance working with land owners, groups, and units of government to apply and maintain a variety of conservation practices in their area of assigned responsibility. Direct Hire Authority: These positions are being filled through the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) Direct-Hire Authority for this occupation.Learn more about this agency
- Provides on-site technical assistance and training to field personnel in installation of conservation practices: parallel terraces, ponds, waterways, irrigation systems, agricultural waste mgmt systems, grass-based rotations, pasture planting, etc.
- Performs construction inspections on simple and complex structures for conservation systems. Performs drafting and other graphical work on a computer-aided drafting system and maintains they system equipment and supplies.
- Determines the type, scope and intensity of field investigations and surveys needed. Directs collection of field data and assures adequacy of collected data.
- Designs and supervises the design of complete engineering practices and structures. Prepares job sheets and designs. Prepares as-built plans. Prepares engineering cost estimates and construction performance time estimates.
- Completes payment requests and referrals pertaining to work completed for cost sharing. Documents layout and construction in conservation assistance notes or job diary.
- Selects and applies standard methods of computation for quantities such as concrete, earth fill and excavation. Develops standard drawings on the CAD system.
- Determines engineering training needs for field office personnel and provides training on surveying and engineering equipment.
- Provides instruction in the use of the National Engineering Manual, the Engineering Field Handbook, Agricultural Waste Manual Field Handbook, State Technical Guide, and various technical releases and handbooks.
- Coordinates quality reviews of conservation practices and checks engineering work of field office personnel.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587663500. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.