This is an OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT in support of COVID-19 operations. The initial cut-off date for referral of eligible applications will be January 4th, 2021 and applicants will be referred on an 'as needed' basis. NOTE: This posting will remain open until no longer needed but no later than 03/22/2021.Learn more about this agency
Recruitment Incentive: Not Available
The Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Intermediate Care Technician (ICT) Program is a program designed to hire former military corpsmen, combat medics and medical technicians into positions at VA Medical Centers as an integral part of the medical team. ICTs operate within clearly-defined clinical competencies. For the purposes of this national job announcement ICTs may work in multiple clinical settings based on facility needs, these include but are not limited to, Emergency Medicine, Critical Care, Primary Care, Specialty Clinics, and COVID Screening and Swabbing Stations.
Clinical responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Performing Diagnostic Tests. Examples: Vital Signs, 12-lead electrocardiogram (EKG)
- Point-of-Care. Examples: glucometer, COVID swabbing.
- Specimen collection and Preparation. Examples: collecting and labeling venous blood samples.
- Minor Procedures. Examples: simple one-layer laceration repairs, incision and drainage, skin stapling, STERIS trips, Dermabond.
- Medication Administration: nebulized medications, topical, limited PO meds, vaccine administration.
- Starts Peripheral IVs. Example: saline lock, ultrasound guided IV placement.
- Irrigations. Examples: cerumen and foreign body irrigation, eye irrigation.
- Suture and/or Staple Removal.
- Foley Catheters Insertion. Examples: Coud'e foley insertion, 3-way bladder irrigation.
- Splinting and Casting.
- Wound Care. Examples. wound debridement, Wet-to-Dry dressings, Unna Boot placement, compression dressings- Forflex and Profour, wound vac placement, graft application.
- Patient education within scope of care or while providing an intervention.
- Electronic Health Record (EHR): Thoroughly and appropriately documents actions, interventions and procedures in the medical record. Examples: Procedural notes and progress notes.
Appointment Type: Permanent and/or Temporary**
Recruitment/Relocation Incentive: Not Available
Position Description Title/PD#: Intermediate Care Technician/ S0031-A & 99968-A
NOTE: The salary listed represents full-time employment and will be prorated based on the actual number of hours worked each pay-period. Likewise, employees not working on a full-time basis will have benefits and time-off accrual prorated and based on their work schedule.
*Intermittent employment is defined as non-fulltime employment in which employees serve under an excepted or competitive service appointment without a regularly scheduled tour of duty. A position with an intermittent work schedule is sporadic and unpredictable so that a tour of duty cannot be regularly scheduled in advance. Intermittent positions offer health insurance only if the employee is expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days.
**The TEMPORARY appointment will not exceed 1 year. This appointment may be renewed for additional service in accordance with Agency needs for 1 additional year. Temporary positions offer health insurance (if the employee is expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days) but do not offer life insurance or retirement benefits and may be terminated at any time before the expiration date. The appointment to a Temporary position does not confer eligibility for promotion or reassignment to other positions or the ability to be non-competitively converted to permanent employment.
Physical Requirements: The work involves extended periods of bending, standing and walking. Generally, the work requires recurring physical exertion with assisting patients.
The work requires a level of physical fitness that allows for standing for extended periods, heavy lifting to position patients, and manual dexterity to perform clinical procedures. The work will require recurrent bending, lifting, stooping, standing, squatting, stretching, sitting and walking.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/587617600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.