This position is located within a National Forest. The primary purpose of this position is to perform a variety of recurring and complex duties in support of the Forest Inventory and Analysis (FIA) Program.Learn more about this agency
- Works with a team of technicians and professionals, collecting forestry and forest health monitoring data on permanently established fixed radius plots. Assists in locating field sites using aerial photographs and topographic maps.
- Collects forestry, botanical, and geographic measurements according to nationally standardized protocol and field procedures.
- The incumbent obtains data on: tree growth and mortality; forest type, stand size and stand age; anthropogenic treatments and/or natural disturbances; insects and disease; soil attributes; and understory vegetation composition.
- Assists in field manual interpretation when assessing complex or unusual situations. Uses botanical keys to identify plants encountered and assists in the collection and preservation of specimens.
- Records all measurements utilizing a personal data recorder. Uploads and edits data on a daily basis. Completes accurate and concise plot summaries of all field visits.
- Actively participates in the safety program, assisting in identifying hazards and mitigating actions. Travels by boat, small aircraft, and helicopter as necessary to access field sites.
- Lives and works on a marine vessel for extended periods of time with limited personal space and continuous background noise from engines and generators.
- This position has the duty of carrying a firearm, which is a safety precaution for field-going personnel due to the high number of brown bears in Alaska.
- Incumbent shall attend shotgun training annually and any recertification necessary to maintain this skill. A background security check is required prior to appointment and on an ongoing basis after appointment.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/584458700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.