This position is located at the Agricultural Research Service, Tropical Crop and Commodity Protection Research Unit in Hilo, HI.The incumbent will develop as part of a project on post-harvest treatment of economically important pests of tropical agriculture and to assess quarantine treatments to facilitate export of fresh commodities to domestic and foreign markets; and to develop value-added products from tropical crops. Learn more about this agency
- Conducts research that will lead to value-added products and improved postharvest systems for tropical crops intended for domestic and export markets.
- Research focuses on developing new or improved treatments for fresh and processed tropical commodities to reduce or eliminate postharvest disorders and decay, add value, enhance marketability, and ensure food quality and safety.
- Publishes results of research in internationally recognized journals and transfers applicable technology to growers, processors, and end-users who will benefit from this research.
- Apply environmental sensors and physiological indicators to predict shelf-life of fresh and minimally processed products.
- Develop model parameters to optimize postharvest or processing systems and novel methods or treatments to reduce microbial contamination and extend shelf-life of tropical crops.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/583931100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.