Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
Food technology, or dairy technology, microbiology, biology, chemistry, physics, or a related discipline or field of biological or physical science. The course work must have been comprised of at least 30 semester hours in the basic biological and physical sciences and included at least 20 semester hours in food technology and closely related subjects, or 20 semester hours in subjects that can be applied directly to food technology.
Combination of education and experience
- courses equivalent to a major, including the course work specified, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
in addition to meeting the basic education requirement above, all applicants must also meet the following minimum qualification requirements
At The GS-12:
Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service or possess a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or possess an equivalent combination of graduate level education and experience. Graduate education must be directly related to the work of the position and must have equipped applicants with the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to do the work.
Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-12 level of this position are:
At The GS-13:
- Conducting research on food technology on topics such as microbiology, post-harvest phytosanitary treatments, or shelf-life improvement; and
- Primary or co-authorship on peer-reviewed publications on food technology.
Applicants must demonstrate at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS-13 level of this position are:
At The GS-14:
- Researching and applying novel food technology methods to control spoilage, ensure nutritional value of processed foods, or eliminate phytosanitary threats;
- Primary authorship of peer-reviewed publications of considerable interest in the field of food technology;
- Making presentations to professional societies and others outside the organization on matters specific to food technology.
Applicants must demonstrate at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience directly related to the position to be filled. The specialized experience requirements for the GS- 14 level of this position are:
- Leading a research team of developing research studies on the implementation of novel food technologies at production scale;
- Primary authorship on a number of important peer-reviewed papers and other publications such as chapters and books in the field of food technology;
- Making presentations and organizing symposia in professional societies and others outside the organization on matters specific to food technology.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To further support your qualifications, it is strongly recommended that you submit a one-page abstract of your MS thesis and/or Ph.D. dissertation. Failure to do so could result in loss of your consideration/referral. Also, please submit a list of names, addresses, and phone numbers of persons familiar with your stature, contributions, recognition; any honors or awards received; memberships in professional or honor societies; invitations to make presentations at scientific/technical meetings; scientific society office and committee assignments; presentations (other than invitation); and publications.
Applicants must be available to report for duty at the time a selection is made.