The is a Senior Executive Service (SES) position located within FEMA’s Office of External Affairs. The incumbent will serve as Deputy Director, External Affairs providing high-level policy advice and expertise to senior leadership on the external affairs aspects of complex programmatic, regulatory, and key stakeholder communication and outreach proposals affecting FEMA and Department of Homeland Security.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to FEMA. Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
In this role, the incumbent will work closely with the Director of External Affairs in providing policy direction and operational guidance on behalf of the Administrator and the Deputy Administrator on a broad range of cross-cutting organizational program and policy issues.
Typical assignments include:
- Serves as a key policy advisor and liaison to the Administrator, Deputy Administrator and other senior FEMA leadership to develop communication and outreach strategies and programs within FEMA.
- Oversees and directs the training and development, administrative, and day-to-day operations of the Office and External Affairs program across the agency.
- Advises and assists the Administrator and key program officials with high level preparations and appearances before external audiences, such as committee hearings and meetings; media interviews; and, stakeholder engagements relative to Agency programs and policies.
- Provides oversight for the development of a comprehensive external affairs program and governing policy.
- Overseeing the management and direction of the Office of External Affairs as well as all regional and field operations supporting External Affairs and Emergency Support Function 15 of the National Response Framework.
- Incumbent serves as a source of high-level expertise and assistance to FEMA officials on sensitive issues related to the Agency’s Legislative, Intergovernmental, Private Sector and Public Affairs programs.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
Occasional travel - This position may require occasional non-emergency travel.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581497100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.