This position is located in the Office of General Counsel (OGC). There are 10 vacancies open that can be filled in the following locations:
Kansas City, KS
New York, NY
San Francisco, CA
Note: When applying, please ONLY select up to 3 locations that you are interested in on a permanent basis. You will not be able to change locations if converted to a permanent appointment.Learn more about this agency
LEGAL HONORS PROGRAM
HUD’s Legal Honors Program is designed for law students graduating from J.D. and LLM programs, and recent law school graduates completing a judicial clerkship. The Legal Honors Program is HUD’s only hiring program for entry-level attorneys.
Legal Honors are assigned either to Headquarters or a Regional Office. During the program, all Legal Honors are given the opportunity to complete rotations across OGC functions and within other Federal agencies if elected. Rotations may include: Assisted Housing, Community Development, Fair Housing, Insured Housing, Legislations and Regulations, Litigation, Mortgage Backed Securities, Personnel and Ethics, Procurement Law, Program Enforcement, and Real Estate and transactional work. Legal Honors will receive their permanent work placement upon successful completion of the 14-month appointment and bar admission. Legal Honors are assigned mentors, receive training, and participate in monthly discussions to enhance their experience and professional development. The target position upon conversion is a GS-12 Trial Attorney or Attorney Advisor with a full performance level of GS-14.
The program is highly competitive and candidates are selected on the basis of merit. Selection considerations include many factors such as: academic achievement; law review and other publication work; extracurricular activities such as moot court competitions and legal clinics; employment history; and participation in activities related to HUD’s mission.
Additional information regarding the legal honors law clerk program can be found at: https://www.hud.gov/program_offices/general_counsel/legalhonorsprogram
As a LAW CLERK (LEGAL HONORS INTERN), you will:
- Prepare and handle both affirmative and defensive litigation cases involving all programs and participates with private attorneys in handling cases involving HUD funded activities.
- Participate in matters affecting HUD programs and administration in the regional office, field office or HUD Headquarters jurisdiction and exercises clear and precise judgment and discretion in formulating responses to legal issues with the assistance of the senior level attorney
- Prepare all pleadings, motions, briefs, and memorandum of law to be filed in cases. As appropriate, these documents are reviewed by a senior level attorney.
- Perform legal research and prepare memoranda of law based upon the products of his or her research.
- Conducts discovery, including examination or cross-examination of witnesses by deposition.
- Handle necessary programmatic transactional work related to real estate and housing.
- Provide advice and guidance on legal issues that arise in connection with the program responsibilities of the Department.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/581386200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.