The Recent Graduates Program affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs. Current students who are scheduled to graduate within nine months may also apply to these positions. However, these students cannot be appointed until after graduation and the official degree has been awarded and conferred.Learn more about this agency
- Conduct preliminary surveys and site investigations to obtain baseline and field data
- Prepare design criteria for smaller or less complex portions of a project, such as conventional roads, facilities, utility systems or structures.
- Compute quantities and cost estimates for civil engineering projects based on knowledge of the project, terrain and climate.
- Implement civil engineering work in accordance with approaches that have been structured by senior engineers.
- Investigate various routes and locations for proposed roads and trails using aerial photos and topographic maps.
- Perform location reconnaissance and flag routes along corridors using transportation plan.
- Complete road designs involving drainage structures, base and surfacing analysis and special structures using basic survey data.
- Interpret safety regulations to assure that safe practices are followed during projects.
- Observe construction at all stages to identify problems and take action to change designs within delegated authority.
- Recommend changes to solve problems that may arise, such as, unusual foundation conditions caused by faults, or rocks susceptible to solution and landslides.
- Administer contracts for projects that are limited in size, complexity or a minor part of a large project
- Coordinate with other engineers to ensure technical accuracies for engineering projects.
- Participate in investigations of existing facilities and utility to conform to safety, health, and regulatory requirements.
- Confer with contractor representatives to resolve differences.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580896700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.