The Heliophysics Science Division is an organizational element of the Sciences and Exploration Directorate. The Division is divided into five laboratories whose chiefs report directly to the Director. The major areas of space science that comprise the Heliophysics Science Division include Solar Physics, Heliospheric Physics, Geospace Physics, and Space Weather. Also included in the Division's program are important activities in planetary magnetospheres.Learn more about this agency
**AMENDED CLOSING DATE TO 12/16/2020**
This position reports to the Director of Sciences and Exploration Directorate. The Director of Heliophysics Science Division:
- Is an internationally recognized authority in one or more of the following areas: Solar Physics, Heliospheric Physics, Geospace Physics, and Space Weather.
- Develops and conducts a broad program of research, both experimental and theoretical, in Heliophysics, Solar Physics, Heliospheric Physics, Geospace Physics, and/or Space Weather.
- Disseminates the results of research through presentations at professional meetings and makes contributions to the scientific literature.
- Serves as the expert technical consultant for the Agency in the area of Heliophysics.
- Serves as a Project Scientist, Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator, Participating Scientist, or as an Interdisciplinary Scientist on NASA missions.
- Responds to Announcements of Opportunity from NASA Headquarters.
- Oversees the construction and delivery of flight hardware to sounding rocket, satellite, and spacecraft projects.
- Oversees the analyses of the data from experiments and the publication of results in the scientific literature.
- Participates in Agency and interagency committees and panels involved in the planning and implementation of Agency and national research programs in the field of space science.
- Develops and implements a vision for the organization's science objectives and new Heliophysics mission concepts.
- Advocates and develops a long-range plan for organizational science objectives without significant changes in allocated resources (e.g., civil service staffing, contractor support).
- Manages and oversees data analysis, science operations, and outreach activities.
- Provides scientific definition and support for new Heliophysics mission concepts, across the whole mission lifecycle from proposal/formulation to operations.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/580845900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.