To be considered for this position, you must submit a complete application no later than 11:59pm ET on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete application prior to the closing time (regardless of when you started) the application system will not allow you to finish. Requests for extensions will not be granted; please begin the application process with enough time to finish before the deadline. Our application system displays a countdown timer in the top-left corner of the screen for your reference. For your security, your session in our online application system will "time-out" if you are inactive for a certain period of time. If you do get "timed-out" you will have to log back into USAJOBS and revisit the vacancy announcement, then click "Update Application" to finish where you left off.
ALL APPLICANTS: You must submit a five (5) page resume, and a separate narrative addressing each MTQ (maximum of one (1) page per MTQ). In addition you have the option of submitting a cover letter (one page maximum). All documents must be uploaded into the system; USAJobs Resume Builder will not be accepted. Separate written narratives addressing the ECQs will not be considered. Pages submitted in excess of the limits described above will not be considered. Substituting pages for other required documents in the application is not acceptable (e.g., submitting only a four-page resume but adding an additional page to address an MTQ). Do not use borders, provide photos or list a Social Security Number on any attachment.
Please review:Tips for preparing SES applications. We recommend that your resume emphasize your level of responsibilities, the scope and complexity of the programs managed, and your program accomplishments, including the results of your actions.
Your five (5) page resume should include the following:
- Full name, mailing and email addresses, day & evening telephone numbers
- Education information including:
a. Name, city, state of colleges/universities attended, major & type of degree received
b. Report only schools accredited by the accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education
- All work experience (paid and unpaid) including:
a. Job title, duties/accomplishments, employer's name/address, start/end dates (include month, day and year), average hours worked per week, salary
b. Honors, awards, special accomplishments
It is important that you are complete and thorough in your resume. Please be sure to include and address all ECQs and MTQs in your resume and application package. A sample 5-page resume that incorporates ECQs can be view at this link (pages 29-37): Guide to SES Qualifications
All statements made in this application are subject to investigation and any false or dishonest answer to any question may be grounds for disqualification and loss of consideration. If your resume does not support the responses in your application questionnaire, or if you fail to submit required documentation before the vacancy closes, you may be rated 'ineligible' or 'not qualified'.
Steps to submit a complete application:
- Log into your USAJOBS account.
- Once you are logged in and all of your application materials are ready, click the 'Apply Now' button.
- You must respond to all applicant assessment questions, carefully following all instructions provided.
- Upload required & additional supporting documentation, including: resume, MTQ narrative, transcripts, portfolio samples, certifications, SF-50s.
- IMPORTANT: In the final step of the application process you will be shown a copy of your resume and all the information you entered during the application process. You must click the 'Finish' button at the bottom of this final page and receive confirmation that your application has been received. If you do not click 'Finish', your application will not be received.
- If you experience any difficulties with the online application process (anything after you have clicked the 'Apply Online' button): contact the HR Office listed on this announcement between normal business hours. If you are receiving any kind of error message, please be ready to provide a screenshot or at a minimum, the error message text and number. If necessary, we will put you in touch with the technical support number if we are unable to assist you personally.
- If you need help with USAJOBS (searching for jobs, account password/profile issues, or Resume Builder): please visit the USAJOBS Resource Center and select a topic of inquiry. Or, you may reach out to USAJOBS directly for support, by visiting the USAJOBS Contact Us page. We regret that we are unable to support any issues with USAJOBS, as this service is not maintained by the Department of Energy.
- If you are experiencing a significant hardship which hinders your ability to apply online please contact the HR Office listed on this announcement during normal business hours to discuss your situation.
You may check your application status any time after the announcement closes. USAJOBS has an alert setting in the system to drive status update notifications for applicants. We recommend that you update your USAJOBS profile to receive these status updates via email after the announcement closes. We will update your status online as changes are made.
Applicants who meet the mandatory ECQs and MTQs will be evaluated by a panel of senior executives. Failure to meet all qualifications automatically disqualifies an applicant. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. Persons tentatively selected for appointment to SES positions must have their ECQs approved by OPM Eligibility for this position will be based upon a clear showing that the applicant has experience of the scope and quality sufficient to effectively carry out assignments of the position.