The incumbent is Horticulturist and Curator of Tropical/Subtropical Fruits and Sugarcane Germplasm at the Subtropical Horticultural Research Unit (SHRU), United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service in Miami, FL.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent serves as the curator of the SHRU collection of subtropical/tropical fruits crops and sugarcane germplasm providing technical direction and guidance in producing quality, germplasm and to conduct research on germplasm.
- Oversees and preserves clonal and seed-propagated subtropical/tropical fruit and sugarcane and related species collections. This includes planning for plant rotation, land preparation, treatment, and processing to collect required descriptors.
- Provides phenotypic and genotypic (via DNA genetic markers) characterization of the accessions to the collection, accomplished directly or in collaboration with other scientists.
- Implements new procedures used to accomplish the propagation, increase, preservation, genetic and phenotypic characterization, evaluation, maintenance, and distribution of germplasm and associated information.
- Collects or acquires genetic resources of cultivated and wild subtropical/tropical fruits and sugarcane species in response to needs expressed by users.
- Searches scientific literature pertaining to the genetic diversity, preservation, genetic and phenotypic characterization, evaluation, and maintenance of subtropical/tropical fruit crops and sugarcane germplasm.
- Coordinates activities with other research and service scientists at SHRU as well as other research and service scientists in the National Plant Germplasm System.
- Performs and reports genetic and botanical studies relevant to assessing genetic diversity and/or redundancy associated with the national working collections maintained at the SHRU.
- Recommends and/or develops alternative methods/techniques to accomplish objectives especially with the novel crops where standard procedures do not apply.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579376300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.