As Director of the International Space Station (ISS), Human Exploration and Operations Mission Directorate (HEOMD), the incumbent supports the Associate Administrator for HEO in providing technical advice and recommendations as to the technical readiness and constructive execution of the ISS Program. The focus is to ensure development efforts and mission operations are being planned and conducted on a sound engineering basis with proper programmatic controls and attention to risks.Learn more about this agency
This position reports to the Associate Administrator for HEO. The Director of the International Space Station:
- Provides independent assessments to the Associate Administrator for HEO on ISS program ability to achieve cost, schedule, and technical objectives, as well as directing and managing Headquarters staff to achieve the same. Interfaces are local, national, and international.
- Reviews the current and projected state of technology and engineering practice for the ISS and cooperative U.S. international human space flight programs. Evaluates near-term requirements and long-range opportunities and recommends policy which will meet identified needs.
- Organizes and conducts independent reviews of technical program issues. Evaluates the technical quality and risk of program activities.
- Acts as the technical focal point for review committee activities, external NASA boards, and panels. As required, represents the Associate Administrator for HEO in these groups.
- Assesses capabilities and readiness in specific engineering and operations discipline areas and defining capabilities required to meet long-range national and space exploration needs, and promotes more efficient and cost-effective use of Agency resources.
- Conducts independent reviews regarding technical quality and engineering soundness of the ISS to ensure programmatic controls within government/industry structure.
50% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579340900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.