Job Corps graduates of fire certified programs are encouraged to applyLearn more about this agency
This position is located within a National Forest. The position is located on a fire crew as a crewmember within the fire management organization to provide for the detection and reporting of fires from a lookout station.
- Uses standard fire finders to locate observed smoke.
- Estimates distance to smokes and probable size and characteristics of fires
- Determines map location of fires with reference to known landmarks. Reports azimuth, distance, location, volume, color, behavior of smoke, and other pertinent information by radio or telephone.
- Continues to observe the area and reports significant changes such as increased smoke, wind conditions, changes in color or volume of smoke, etc.
- Observes ground lightning strikes, thunderstorms, and build-up cloud formations and reports significant observations.
- Records and reports daily weather observations. Maintains records and log books. Makes minor adjustments and maintains lookout equipment. Maintains lookout station and grounds in a neat and orderly condition.
- Operates a radio communications center which connects other lookout stations and radio sets.
- Receives and relays messages and information received relating to weather forecasts, fire hazard conditions, fire emergencies, accidents, and location of work crews and personnel.
- Serves as key contact at a lookout station visited by large numbers of people during the fire season.
- Promotes the fire prevention program by explaining State and Federal laws, policies, and regulations, as well as fire prevention methods and procedures and fire hazard conditions.
Occasional travel - Occasional overnight travel may be required for fire suppression or fire related assignment
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578979700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.