What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position.Learn more about this agency
This is a term appointment not to exceed 13 months/years with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
Salary for GS-09: $58,909 (Step 01) to $76,583 (Step 10);
Salary for GS-11: $71,274 (Step 01) to $92,655 (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a Oceanographer within the Woods Hole Coastal & Marine Science Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Provide expertise and lead field activities for collection of hydrodynamic, bathymetric, and sedimentologic field data. Lead or participate in the design, planning, and organization of multifaceted data collection. Prepare instrumentation for deployment, deploy and retrieve instruments, and download data. Operate small boats (<25 feet) to conduct field operations.
- Analyze hydrodynamic and sediment transport data. Organize and process field data with existing code and modify or develop new processing code as needed. Evaluate data quality and identify conditions which may produce anomalies in the data. Write code to quantitatively compare data to theoretical relationships. Interpret data, integrate the implications of different data types, and evaluate the impact of results.
- Disseminate results, both independently and as a team member. Author or coauthor data releases and peer-reviewed publications. Prepare data, illustrations, and maps for publication in reports, journal articles, and for public and scientific presentations. Present project results at meetings and conferences. Serve as a source of information for scientists. Publish field data and model results.
- Test, evaluate, and establish protocols for operation and data processing of new oceanographic instrumentation. Lead or participate in developing new instrumentation and deployment platforms as required to accomplish research objectives.
- Operates a government owned or leased vehicle as an incidental driver.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel an average of 2 to 3 night per month for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578903800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.