What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?Learn more about this agency
Salary: $135,758 (Step 01) to $170,800 (Step 10);
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
This is an interdisciplinary position and can be filled as a Supervisory Geophysicist, GS-1313, Supervisory Hydrologist, GS-1315, or Supervisory Geologist, GS-1350.
As the SCIENTIST-IN-CHARGE of the Cascades Volcano Observatory within the VOLCANO SCIENCE CENTER, some of your specific duties will include:
- Provides management oversight and scientific leadership for all work conducted by the Cascades Volcano Observatory.
- Directs an interdisciplinary, multi-institutional program of volcano monitoring, hazards recognition and assessment, hazard warnings and volcanological research that draws upon a wide variety of disciplines.
- Is delegated the responsibility to issue all warnings and notification of volcanic unrest and eruptive activity in the incumbent's observatory's geographic area of responsibility.
- Synthesizes a broad array of data sets (often incomplete), elicits expert opinion (often contradictory), and draws upon the knowledge and experience of volcanic processes to forecast activity and assign alert levels for use by the public.
- Modifies management structure and assignments within the observatory to best utilize available personnel, expertise, funding, and facilities.
- Operates a government vehicle as an incidental driver.
Physical Demands: Work is generally sedentary, although field trips and extensive travel can be expected.
Work Environment: The work is performed primarily in an office setting but requires travel to visit field stations and to attend domestic and international meetings.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/578299400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.