The incumbent serves as a Health Scientist performing data science work that requires extraction of knowledge from public health surveillance systems and programs at the local, state and national levels that are structured or unstructured for: analysis; improved understanding and communication; development/visualization of new concepts, and/or processes that add value to health services delivery and the decision making process.Learn more about this agency
As a Health Scientist (Data Scientist), you will:
- Consult and collaborate with statistical, data science, artificial intelligence (e.g., machine learning), and public health professionals in the collection, linkage, processing, coding, classification, and analysis of public health surveillance, research, and administrative health data.
- Learn and use current data science methods and tools to plan and conduct research using public health data systems, including survey data, health care facility data, syndromic surveillance data, electronic health records, vital records, and non-traditional data sources such as social media and unstructured web-based data.
- Support the development of proposals and projects that align with research and policy goals for data science research and analytic projects, defining the scope and intent of the projects, the data to be used, the analytic approaches and methods, technology resource requirements, timelines and significant milestones, and intended outputs.
- Provide advice on the use of data science tools, methods, and statistical learning models to collect, link, process, code, classify, and analyze public health surveillance, research, and administrative data.
- Assist in creating recommendation for additional research and development efforts and formulates proposals for new studies and data science projects related to the Center's priority topic areas.
- Support synthesizing and interpreting the relevant literature and other public sources and provides analytical review of current methodological developments.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel 15% domestically for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577952200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.