THIS IS AN OPEN CONTINUOUS ANNOUNCEMENT. This type of announcement provides the Forest Service with a readily available source of applicants when vacancies occur. Eligibility and qualifications will be verified when there is a vacancy for the location and grade for which you applied. Information on specific locations where jobs are being filled and the dates applications are due for these locations can be found on theForest Service website.Learn more about this agency
See ADDITIONAL INFORMATION section for details.
- Serves as a dispatcher, receiving, filling, and tracking resource requests for fire and other emergency incidents
- Follows established procedures to perform a variety of technical duties common to the dispatch of personnel, equipment, aircraft and/or supplies according to pre-defined plans or in response to resource orders from the field.
- Initiates requests to higher organizational levels for additional resources as needed.
- Maintains resource status and tracking systems and operates telecommunications systems.
- Collects, processes, collates and submits incident information to support fire operations (e.g. fire reports, smoke permits, spot weather forecasts, prescribed fire burn requests).
- Organizes and reviews completed records of all orders placed and actions taken to ensure adherence to established operating procedures.
- Processes and interprets weather information (e.g., spot weather forecasts, weather station observations, current and forecasted weather, lightning detection, and fuel moisture levels).
- Inputs data into a number of fire-related computer applications (e.g., incident qualification records, fire reporting systems, and automated dispatch systems) and makes the initial assessment of outputs.
- Provides critical logistical support information to supervisor and makes recommendations concerning the efficient uses of available resources.
- Records and maintains communication logs.
- Coordinates and may assist with fire training and orientation.
- Gathers information for the development and maintenance of the dispatch mobilization guide and internal dispatch operating guides.
- Shares information with cooperators and other interested entities.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel overnights on fire suppression or fire related assignments for this position.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577268100. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.