This position is located within the Department of Commerce (DOC), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS), Pacific Islands Fisheries Science Center (PIFSC), Protected Species Division with one vacancy located in Honolulu, HI.
This position is also announced under vacancy number NMFS-PIC-2020-0046, which is open to Status candidates. You must apply to both announcements if you want to be considered for both.Learn more about this agency
IMPORTANT APPLICATION DEADLINE: It is anticipated that there will be significant interest in this announcement. As a result the announcement will close at 11:59 PM EST on the date of receipt of the 100th application or at 11:59 PM EST on September 4, 2020; whichever occurs first.
As an Interdisciplinary Ecologist OR Mathematical Statistician, you will perform the following duties (Official Title will be determined based on the qualifications of the selectee):
- Participate in the Cetacean Research Program focusing on data collection, survey design, and population assessment analyses for marine mammals.
- Study marine mammal populations, including estimating abundance or other life history characteristics for cetaceans using distance sampling, mark-recapture, and other statistical approaches.
- Create data extractions, post-process data, evaluate scientific data, review test results and reports, and report on misinformation in data to open further investigation.
- Collaborate with Pacific Islands Region (PIR) agencies, NOAA Fisheries, and stakeholders by providing advice and research on issues related to marine mammal ecology, abundance and distribution, and management needs.
- Develop and present stock assessment models and analyses at meetings, and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
NOTE: These duties are described at the full performance level of the ZP-3, the ZP-2 is developmental leading to such performance.
Occasional travel - Up to 10% of domestic and foreign travel may be required.
3 - If you are selected for a position with further promotion potential, you may be non-competitively promoted if you perform successfully and if recommended by management.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577144800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.