The Software Engineering Division, Science Data Systems Branch (Code 586), seeks an experienced individual to serve as a Principal Software Systems Engineer. The incumbent will serve as a System Architect for NASA's Earth Science Data and Information System (ESDIS) project and be responsible for providing the information architecture vision of EOSDIS for the future, conceiving and directing ongoing evolutionary development by leveraging current and emerging technology.Learn more about this agency
- Leads the system engineering design, development, integration, and implementation of new components of the Earth Observing System (EOS) Data and Information System (EOSDIS).
- Provides expertise in current and state-of-the-art computer science technology and standards, software engineering skills, and team leadership ability.
- Identifies improvements in systems, tools and services to increase the utilization of EOS data and define requirements, approve designs, and oversee implementation of these improvements.
- Works with other NASA organizations, US agencies and International data systems teams to develop interoperable components for EOSDIS.
- Coordinates and leads the technical activities of senior and other science data system and sub-system engineers and provides technical direction on development of system architecture.
- Works with customers and users to analyze and resolve problems, to develop and specify requirements for the modification and enhancement of existing systems, or to define requirements for new science data systems.
- Provides technical insight into the development and management of policies, procedures, and operational schedules necessary for science data systems and functions.
- Performs pre-project planning duties, such as concept development, master integration planning, and programming design for projects, taking into account feasibility, costs, and economics.
- Duties described above are at the full-performance level. Duties assigned at a lower grade level will be of more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity; duties will be commensurate with the grade of selected employee.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/577014000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.