What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?Learn more about this agency
This is a term appointment not to exceed 13 months with possible extensions up to a total of 4 years without further competition. Appointment to this position will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.
GS- 7 Salary: $48,670 (Step 01) to $63,267 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a CHEMIST within the EASTERN ENERGY RESOURCES SCIENCE CENTER, some of your specific duties will include:
- Works under the direction of the laboratory manager to ensure all rules, procedures, and mandatory activities (e.g., laboratory audits) under the USGS Energy and Minerals Mission Area Quality Management System are being followed at all times. Works with project leads to develop and implement standard operating procedures and laboratory QA/QC methods for the inorganic analysis of high salinity waters.
- Prepares high salinity samples for analysis (e.g., dilution, preservation, filtration) and performs analytical tests including water quality parameters, physical measurements (density, total dissolved solids), ions via ion chromatography, and major, minor and trace elements via inductively coupled plasma-optical emission spectrometry. Prepares an electronic data summary and report for each project scientist, for each sample set.
- Communicates with project scientists to evaluate needs and special sample treatment for each sample set. Processes and evaluates the quality of all related chemical data for produced waters, including examination of calibration, calibration checks, reference materials, blanks, and interferences.
- Assists project scientists with other related tasks including sample collection, processing, and interpretative activities as assigned. Data collection may involve geologic field work in remote locations or at drill sites.
- The incumbent will perform chemical and physical analysis of high salinity oil and gas wastewaters as part of the USGS Brine Research Instrumentation and Experimental (BRInE) Laboratory under the Oil and Gas Waters Project of the USGS Eastern Energy Resources Science Center.
The work involves prolonged standing.
The work involves regular and recurring exposure to irritant chemicals. Special safety precaustions are required and the chemist usses protective clothing and gear such as a laboratory coat, gloves, and safety glasses
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/574661200. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.