You will serve as an Astronomer in the Astronomical Applications Department, Nautical Almanac Office, of NAVOBSERV, Washington, DC.Learn more about this agency
Pay range GS-11: $72,030-$93,638
Pay range GS-12: $86,335-112,240
- You will participate in the production of all annual astronomical and navigational almanac publications for the U.S. Naval Observatory (USNO), including web-based material.
- You will take responsibility for various almanac publications to include the complete cycle of production from initial background research, computation and verification of data, production of camera-ready copy.
- You will take responsibility in the preparation of data for distribution, and submission and documentation of production files in the almanac archive.
- You will conduct research for purposes of improving and updating the astronomical and navigational data within the almanacs.
- You will implement new data, new theories, and/or new algorithms into almanac production software, as well as, verify changes made are correct.
- You will participate in cross-departmental projects such as developing or testing new almanac-related software applications, preparation of new web data services, and/or developing new information distribution methods.
- You will provide expert technical assistance to users of USNO's almanac products.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position. (Less than 10%)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/573609400. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.