What General Information Do I Need To Know About This Position?
Reno, NV GS-09 Salary: $52,905 (Step 01) to $68,777 (Step 10); Reno, NV GS-11 Salary: $64,009 (Step 01) to $83,210 (Step 10)
Dixon, CA GS-09 Salary: $64,535 (Step 01) to $83,897 (Step 10); Dixon, CA GS-11 Salary: $78,081 (Step 01) to $101,503 (Step 10)
Santa Cruz, CA Salary: $ 64,535 (Step 01) to $83,897 (Step 10); Santa Cruz GS-11 Salary: $78,081 (Step 01) to $101,503 (Step 10)Learn more about this agency
As a Biologist within the Western Ecological Research Center, some of your specific duties will include:
- Advise in field biology, and necessary methods.
- Study interactions between wildlife populations,habitat attributes, anthropogenic change, and management actions; primarily in sagebrush or marine ecosystems.
- Study influence avian breeding ecology and interactions with nest predators, primarily in esturarine systems.
- Scientific writing ability (as lead and co-author) that condenses and summarizes research hypotheses analyses, results, and implications into peer-reviewed scientific journal articles.
- Provide oral presentations at scientific meetings.
- Provide oral and written updates to project collaborators, partners, and clients.
- Model and interpret datasets of wildlife-habitat relationships,survival and recruitment, spatial use, and predator-prey relationships, using advanced statistical techniques (such as Maximum-Likelihood, Bayesian, Geostastical,
and/or Geoprocessing analyses).
- Perform analyses with software to, including any of the following: R, MARK (or R-Mark), WinBugs, JAGS, ArcGIS, Spatial Analyst, R raster packages.
- Provide project management support for the principal investigator.
- Write study proposals, assist with obtaining funding, and work with the team in the development of new ideas and approaches to problem solving.
- Work independently or in team setting, takes responsibility for establishing tasks.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Field work involves moderate or sometimes extreme exposure to rain, snow, cold/hot weather, rapidly running or icy streams and rivers, mosquitoes and working in bear country. Lifting and carrying of equipment up to 100 pounds when in the field.
There is one vacancy; however, this announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies if they become available.
NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
Occasional travel - Occasional travel on 1-2 nights per month may be required.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568360600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.