The Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC) is the central facility for the acquisition, preservation, protection, retrieval, and dissemination of scientific and technical information (STI) supporting the Research and Engineering (R&E) needs of the Department of Defense (DoD), as well as federal and industry partners. DTIC provides leading edge information services and analysis products to the DoD community as a recognized leader in information and knowledge management innovations.Learn more about this agency
- The duties described reflect the full performance level of this position.
- Serves as a Technical Information Specialist in the Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC), Enterprise Content Management Directorate.
- Responsible for ensuring the correctness of security and distribution entries of all citations for classified and unclassified documents.
- Responsible for ensuring that the bibliographic data elements entered in citations meet all criteria established by DoD adopted national and international standards to achieve DTIC quality requirements.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Background Investigation required.
- Complete the initial online assessment and USAHire Assessment, if required.
QualificationsTime in Grade:
For entry at the GS-07 level, status applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-05 or higher grade in the Federal Service.
For entry at the GS-09 level, status applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-07 or higher grade in the Federal Service.
For entry at the GS-11 level, status applicants must have served 52 weeks as a GS-09 or higher grade in the Federal Service.
BASIC REQUIREMENT: A full 4 year course of study that meets all the requirements for a bachelor's degree with major study in the subject matter field of the position to be filled. Major field of study may include librarian, archival, Physical or Social Sciences disciplines, or other subject-matter related field.
Four years of experience that provided a knowledge of the basic principles, theories, practices, techniques, and terminology of a discipline or subject-matter field; an understanding of the standard methods, procedures, and techniques of research and analysis in the subject-matter field; and where appropriate, ability to read and comprehend non technical material in one or more foreign languages. Such experience must have been equivalent to that which would have been gained through a 4-year college curriculum.
A combination of education and experience as described above.
In addition to meeting the basic qualification requirements stated above, applicants must have the amounts of experience required for the grade levels shown below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: One year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of the next lower grade or pay band level within the federal service, which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position, is required.
For the GS-07, one year of specialized experience as a GS-05 in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-05 if outside the Federal service, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as performing descriptive cataloging of documents.
For the GS-09, one year of specialized experience as a GS-07 in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-07 if outside the Federal service, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as performing descriptive cataloging of documents. Performing quality control on documents that have been cataloged.
For the GS-11, one year of specialized experience as a GS-09 in the Federal service, or comparable in difficulty and responsibility to GS-09 if outside the Federal service, is required.
Specialized experience is defined as applying security concepts and practices to review, analyze and make decisions on document security issues. Applying procedures for upgrading or downgrading or declassifying classified documents, CUI, export control or public information in order to properly protect classified and proprietary information. Performing quality control or security tasks on a classified or unclassified content management system for information storage and retrieval.
In addition to meeting the specialized experience requirements, qualified applicants must also possess the quality of experience as it relates to how closely or to what extent an applicant's background, recency of experience, education, and training are relevant to the duties and responsibilities of the announced position. Candidates must clearly demonstrate the possession of knowledge, skills and abilities, or competencies necessary to successfully perform the work of the position at the appropriate level to be qualified for the position. Applicants must describe how their experience meets the competencies within the body of the resume. No separate statements addressing KSA's or competencies are required.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual, community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Qualification and time-in-grade requirements must be met within 30 days after the closing date of this announcement.
Reasonable Accommodation Requests: If you believe you have a disability (i.e., physical or mental), covered by the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 as amended and Americans with Disabilities Act 1990 as amended, that would interfere with completing the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be granted the opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation in your online application. Requests for Reasonable Accommodations for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments and appropriate supporting documentation for Reasonable Accommodation must be received prior to starting the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Decisions on requests for Reasonable Accommodations are made on a case-by-case basis. If you meet the minimum qualifications of the position, after notification of the adjudication of your request, you will receive an email invitation to complete the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. You must complete all assessments within 48 hours of receiving the URL to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. To determine if you need a Reasonable Accommodation, please review the Procedures for Requesting a Reasonable Accommodation for Online Assessments here: https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/images/1/14/USA_Hire_Reasonable_Accommodation_FAQs_-_01-26-17.pdf
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-07 GRADE LEVEL: Bachelor's degree with Superior Academic Achievement or 1 academic year of graduate education (or law school, as specified in qualification standards or individual occupational requirements)
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-09 GRADE LEVEL: Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education, or Master's or equivalent graduate degree such as LL.B. or J.D., may be substituted to meet the experience requirement.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION FOR SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL: Three full years of progressively higher level graduate education or doctoral degree (Ph.D., M.D., or equivalent) related to the position.
Priority Placement Program (PPP) Military Spouse Preference (MSP) eligible candidates will receive priority consideration at the full performance level only.
These benefits generally apply if you are selected for a permanent or term appointment:
The Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program has many plans to choose from, all at very reasonable rates, which can be paid from pre-tax income.
The Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is one of the premier retirement programs in the Nation. The program features three components: a retirement pension; the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP, an employee controlled investment program); and social security.
Federal Employee Group Life Insurance (FEGLI) offers numerous life insurance policy options covering federal employees and dependents.
For more benefits information please visit: http://www.opm.gov/employment_and_benefits/employeesupport2.asp
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to qualify for this position.
- A two year probationary period may be required.
- Recruitment, relocation, or retention incentives MAY NOT be authorized.
- Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service
- Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 90 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
- This position is subject to the limitations imposed by the DOD Priority Placement Program.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) policy on employment of annuitants issued March 18, 2004 will be used in determining eligibility of annuitants. It is applicable to former Federal civilian employees receiving a retirement annuity from the Civil Service Retirement and Disability Fund that are hired within the DoD on or after November 24, 2003. The policy also applies to annuitants (appointed in DoD on/or after November 24, 2003) who move from one position to another within DoD through voluntary reassignment, promotion, change to lower grade or transfer between military departments. The view this policy, please copy and paste the following web address into your web browser: http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/1400.25-V300.pdf.
- You may submit a cover letter which will be forwarded to the selecting official with your resume. Your cover letter will not be used to verify your qualifications or eligibility.
- Background or Security Investigation: The individual selected will be subject to an investigation in conjunction with granting of a security clearance prior to appointment. Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a Secret security clearance. For more information see the security section of Understanding Vacancy Announcements.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your qualifications will be evaluated based on your responses to the online assessments completed during the application process. You will be assessed on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
- Attention to Detail
- Customer Service
- Interpersonal Skills
- Stress Tolerance
You can preview the Assessment Questionnaire here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10810391
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
FOR THIS JOB ANNOUNCEMENT THE FOLLOWING SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS ARE REQUIRED AS THEY APPLY STATED BELOW AND MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE CLOSE OF THE ANNOUNCEMENT.
1. Transcripts (If applicable) -This position has positive education requirements; you must submit all of your transcripts. The absence of this information will result in an ineligible rating.
2. Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50) (If applicable):
- Notification of Personnel Action for current or former federal employees - with the exception of current permanent DTIC employees, please provide your most recent SF50 or the SF50 reflecting Career/Career-Conditional tenure and the highest grade held on a permanent basis.
- If claiming "DoD Education Exemption" (Grandfathered) you must also provide SF50's dated prior to October 1, 2000 showing that you have been continuously employed with DoD with no break in service since October 1, 2000.
- For Five Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4), or, if you are CURRENTLY serving on active duty, a statement of service from your unit which states the date you entered on active duty, the date you are separating, and the campaign medals you have received. For those supplying the statement of service, preference will be verified by a DD-214 (Member Copy 4) upon separation from the military.
- For Ten Point Veterans Preference: DD-214 (Member Copy 4). Veterans with a service-connected disability must also submit a VA letter dated 1991 or later.
5. Military Spouse Preference (MSP) - Spousal Travel Orders/Permanent Change of Station(PCS) Orders, Marriage Certificate, and Military Spouse Preference Self Certification checklist
6. If you are requesting a reasonable accommodation to the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, submit documentation to support your request, including the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form found here.
WARNING: Failure to submit a complete application package including any required documentation by 11:59 PM (EST) on 05/27/2020, or at the time of application for announcements with an extended closing date, may result in an ineligible rating and loss of consideration. To verify that your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, select Application Status and More Information. The Details page will display the status of your application. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
Please read the entire announcement and all the instructions before you begin an application. To apply for this position, you must complete the initial online application, to include submission of the required documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on the closing date of the announcement to receive consideration. The application process is as follows:
1. To begin the application process, click the Apply Online button.
2. Answer the questions presented in the application and attach all necessary supporting documentation.
3. Click the Submit Application button prior to 11:59PM (ET) on the announcement closing date.
4. After submitting an online application, you will be notified whether or not you are required to take additional online assessments through the USA Hire Competency Based Assessment system. This message will be delivered to you both on screen and via email notification.
5. If you are asked to take the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments, you will be presented with a unique URL to access the USA Hire system. Access to USA Hire is granted through your USAJOBS login credentials. Be sure to review all instructions prior to beginning your USA Hire Assessments.
Note, set aside at least 3 hours to take these assessments; however, most applicants complete the assessments in less time. If you need to stop the assessments and continue at a later time, you can re-use the URL sent to you via email and also found on the Additional Application Information page that can be located in the application record in your USAJOBS account. To update your application, including supporting documentation, at any time during the announcement open period by return to your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login). There you will find a record of your application, the application status, and an option to Update Application. This option will no longer be available once the announcement has closed. To verify the status of your application both during and after the announcement open period, log into your USAJOBS account: https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login. All of your applications will appear on the Welcome page. The application record in your USAJOBS account provides an Additional Application Information page that provides information regarding the documentation you submitted and any correspondence we have sent related to this application. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
Agency contact information
HR Customer Care Center
AddressDEFENSE TECHNICAL INFORMATION CENTER
Indianapolis, IN 46249
If you meet the minimum qualifications of this position, you may be presented with instructions on how to access the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments system. These additional online assessments must be completed within 48 hours following the close of this announcement unless you have requested Reasonable Accommodation for the USA Hire Competency Based Assessments. Your results will be kept on record for one year when applying for future jobs that require the same USA Hire Competency Based Assessments.
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon your score, you may be referred to the hiring official. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview. You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/568164600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.