The position is responsible for delivering a broad array of health care services throughout the Medical Center, and it's various locations that provide in patient care. The Health Aid is responsible for performing selected patient/resident related transports to different areas such as, x-rays, CT Scan, MRI, Prosthetics, Sonography and other related areas. The incumbent is expected to develop and demonstrate increasing skills in performing a variety of tasks.Learn more about this agency
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Provides holistic in-patient care to Veterans in a manner conducive to the comfort and safety of those in the facility hospital units, living centers and/or household.
- Protects, sustains and nurtures the resident by providing assistance as needed with activities of daily living (ADL), and with other needs as required in accordance with established policies and procedures to assure the highest degree of resident's quality of life and care is maintained.
- Provides care for a group of patients/residents of varying age.
- Educates and assists inpatients/residents and families in adhering to infection control principles throughout the facility.
- Provides a range of personal care as needed to include bathing, toileting, hair and nail care, and dressing in personal clothing while maintaining privacy and dignity of inpatient/resident.
- Assists as needed with eating drinking, positioning/turning, ambulating, transferring, and escorting inpatients/residents.
- Distributes canteen books and incidentals.
- Performs a range of clinical support duties, which include taking and recording vital signs, and reporting deviations to the RN.
- Performs bladder scans and pulse oximetry as needed.
- Performs a complete range of treatment procedures that include: applying simple and complex sterile dressing, assists with inpatient/resident examinations and performs simple treatments such as hot and cold soaks, hot and cold packs, topical medications, foot soaks, etc.
- Monitors flow of oxygen, replaces empty tanks, and fills personal use portable oxygen.
- Performs routine tasks that assist in the implementation of leisure and diversional activities and promotes meaningful use of time that enhances independence, positive self-esteem and relaxing leisure experiences.
- Establishes and promotes effective interpersonal relationships and communications with inpatients/residents, families and others.
- Monitors appetites and food intake of inpatients/residents and obtains/records weight as needed.
- Maintains inventory control as needed.
- Conducts physical inventory of food and supplies prior to requesting/ordering food and supplies.
Work Schedule: Various work schedules available.
Position Description Title/PD#: Health Aid/ 99917-A
Physical Requirements: Duties require extensive periods of standing and walking. Working with residents requires regular and recurring bending, lifting (not to exceed 35 pounds), reaching, carrying, stooping, stretching and similar activities. Care duties are performed in an inpatient/resident-centered environment requiring normal safety precautions. Due to the essential functions of the job, the employee may be exposed to infectious waste, disease, odors, and other situations associated with health care, including but not limited to, HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B, MRSA, and VRE. Universal precautions are followed at all times. While if completing kitchen responsibilities may be exposed to temperatures of refrigerators/freezers and ovens, as well as wet floors.
Promotion Potential: The selectee may be promoted to the full performance level without further competition when all regulatory, qualification, and performance requirements are met. Selection at a lower grade level does not guarantee promotion to the full performance level.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567629300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.