- Salary: $43,798 (Step 01) to $56,939 (Step 10); NOTE: First time hires to the Federal Government are typically hired at the Step 01.
As a PHYSCIAL SCIENCE TECHNICIAN within the FLORENCE BASCOM GEOSCIENCE CENTER, some of your specific duties will include:
- Working with digital geologic information and other digital geospatial data in Geographic Information System (GIS) software.
- Performing fieldwork for geologic studies.
- Preparing and collecting samples for elemental and stable isotope analysis, radiometric dating, and determination of physical properties.
- Operating and maintaining lab equipment.
- Measuring samples for laboratory experiments using laboratory testing equipment.
- Operating computers and peripheral data process equipment.
- Preparing a variety of tables, base maps, and computer generated plots.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Laboratory work requires prolonged periods of standing and manual dexterity to operate equipment. Field work requires moderate to strenuous activities such as hiking digging, lifting and driving a vehicle. Work involves moderate risks and discomforts, exposure to conditions such as rain, cold/hot weather, and rapidly running or icy streams and rivers. Laboratory work involves exposure to moderate risks or discomforts such as high levels of noise and vibration, dust, grease, exposed moving parts of machinery, or irritant fumes and chemicals. Work may require protective clothing, gear, and observance of safety precautions.
Occasional travel - Average of 2-5 nights per month.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- The duration of the Recent Graduates appointment is a trial period.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver's license & safe driving record.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- This vacancy is limited to the first 50 applications received and will close at midnight Eastern Time on the day this application limit is reached regardless of the closing date specified in this vacancy announcement. Any application received prior to midnight Eastern Time of the day the application limit is reached will be accepted and considered. You are strongly encouraged to submit all required supporting documents at the time of application should the vacancy close earlier than stated in this announcement due to the applicant limit being reached. Supporting documents will not be accepted once the vacancy announcement closes.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- The Recent Graduate Program lasts for 1 year. Participants who successfully complete the Recent Graduate Program may be eligible for conversion to a permanent appointment or a term (1-4 years in duration) appointment without further competition.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
In order to be eligible for an appointment under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a recent graduate who has completed, within the previous two years, an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution such as an accredited technical or vocational school; a 2- or 4-year college or university; a graduate or professional school (e.g., law school, medical school); or a post-secondary home school curriculum. Note: Certificate program is defined as post-secondary education in a qualifying educational institution equal to at least one academic year of full-time study that’s part of an accredited college-level, technical, trade, vocational, or business school curriculum. OR
- You must be currently enrolled in a qualifying degree program as described above AND expect to complete your degree requirements no later than June 2020. If you do not complete your degree requirements by June 2020 you will be ineligible for consideration under this program;
- Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty; however, eligibility for these veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which the degree or certificate was obtained. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained.
For more information on basic qualifications, please click on the following: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/physical-science-technician-gs-1311.
GS-06: All applicants must meet at least one of the following to qualify for the GS-06 level:
A. One year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-05 level in the Federal service that is in or related to the duties of this position. Examples of GS-5 level work: 1) Applies a limited amount of experience in accomplishing the work. Receives oral instructions concerning work methods, available equipment, and procedures to be followed on new tasks. Uses some written guides. Work is checked in progress and upon completion for adequacy and accuracy. Applies skill and knowledge in gathering significant data. Analyzes, evaluates consolidates and reports findings. Uses a large number of delicate and exacting steps and/or elaborate instruments; 2) Receives general oral instructions as to timeframes, anticipated technical problems, and possible sources of additional guidance. Written guides are available, but do contain gaps and deviations where the technician is expected to decide possible alternatives. Work is rarely checked in progress, but is checked for adequacy and accuracy at end of assignment or phase. Methods are fairly well established; makes procedural readjustments; selects auxiliary equipment and methods due to sample size, limitations of equipment, etc.; 3) Possesses long-term experience and/or additional education/training which results in being well versed in technical work. Supervisor is frequently gone or unavailable. Often called upon to act as a "troubleshooter" in the solution of technical problems. Makes some decisions without guidance. Performs one or a few routine procedural tasks where work methods and techniques are well established. Arranges work sequences, adjusts equipment, and recognizes deviations in results obtained. **OR
B. Successful completion of 1/2 year of appropriate graduate level education (9 semester hours, 13.5 quarter hours or the equivalent) in physical science or other field of study directly related to the work of this position for the required 1 year of specialized experience, provided it demonstrates the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work of this position. **OR
C. Combination of appropriate specialized experience (as described above) and appropriate graduate level education (as described above) to meet the qualification requirements. (CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS ON HOW TO COMBINE GRADUATE EDUCATION & SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE)
All applicants must meet qualification and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
- This position is being filled under the Pathways Recent Graduate Program that affords developmental experiences in the Federal Government intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who have recently graduated from qualifying educational institutions or programs.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Identification of promotion potential in this announcement does not constitute a commitment or an obligation on the part of management to promote the employee selected at some future date. Promotion will depend upon administrative approval and the continuing need for and performance of higher-level duties.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
--Basis of Rating:
All applicants who meet the basic eligibility and qualification requirements will be referred to the selecting official in veterans’ preference order.
To preview questions please click here.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
--You are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned, grade received, and the date that the degree/certificate was conferred, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If selected, you will be required to provide official transcripts.
--Future Graduates: Current transcripts documenting you are in your last semester/quarter of completing your degree/certificate requirements.
--Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation must submit documentation that confirms the period of active duty that kept them from applying during the typical 2-year eligibility period. The date of release or discharge from active duty should be later than the date the degree or certificate was obtained.
--If you are claiming veterans' preference you must provide a legible copy of your DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, member 4 copy or any official documentation or statement from the Armed Forces that confirms your dates of service and that your separation, discharge, or release from active duty was under honorable conditions (i.e., Honorable or General Discharge). Note: If you have more than one DD-214 for multiple periods of active duty, submit a copy for each period of service.
--If you are currently on active military duty, you must provide documentation (e.g., campaign document, award citation, etc.), that verifies entitlement to veterans’ preference and that your character of military service is honorable.
--If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, in addition to the documents specified above, you must also submit documentation that supports your claim, e.g., an official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs (dated 1991 or later) or from a branch of the Armed Forces certifying the existence of a service-connected disability, or the award of the Purple Heart, etc. The overall rating must be identified on your certification letter or separation orders.
--Documentation must be received by the closing date shown in this vacancy announcement. If you fail to submit any of the required documentation, you will not be granted veterans’ preference. Additional information on veterans' preference can be found in the VetGuide.
--Required documents may be: 1)faxed to the Agency Contact (see "Contact Information") 2)uploaded directly from your desktop 3)uploaded directly from your USAJOBS stored attachments 4)hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see 'Contact Information').
--Auto-Requested Fax: allows you to submit required documentation that will be electronically displayed along with your resume.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
USGS has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework in accordance with the DOI Telework policy and with supervisor approval. The official worksite for the selectee is the duty station identified in this vacancy announcement. The selectee will typically report to this duty location on a regular and recurring weekly basis.
- For additional information on our internal telework policy, please reference the Department of the Interior Telework Handbook at: https://www.doi.gov/telework/policies.
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
--Applications (resume and application questions) for this vacancy must be received on-line via USAJOBS BEFORE midnight Eastern Time (Washington, D.C. time) on the closing date of this announcement. If you fail to submit a complete online resume, you will not be considered for this position. Requests for extensions will not be granted. Most libraries, employment offices, and all USGS personnel offices can provide access to the Internet. If applying online poses a hardship for you, you must speak to someone in the Servicing Human Resources Office listed on this announcement PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE for assistance.
--Instructions for Applying Online for this Vacancy Announcement: 1)Click the blue "Apply Online" button. 2)If you are not a registered USAJOBS user, please create a new account and follow the instructions to complete your application process. If you are a registered user, login to access your existing USAJOBS profile. 3)As a registered user, select a stored resume and select one or more of your stored documents to attach to your application. 4)Check the "Certification" box and click the "Apply for this position now!" button located at the bottom of the screen. 5)Address the eligibility questions as well as the questionnaire containing questions and/or task statements that address the knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies for this vacancy. 6)Submit required documents using one of the available methods listed below. 7) If you experience technical difficulties during the online application process, please contact the USAJOBS helpdesk.
Agency contact information
AddressINTERIOR, Geological Survey
12201 Sunrise Valley Drive
Reston, Virginia 20192-0002
--If you are one of the most highly qualified candidates, you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 30-45 days of the closing date of this announcement. You will be notified via email of the outcome. You can also go to "My Account" within USAJOBS to review your Application Status.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/567087000. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.