(continued from Requirements section)
College Transcript: If you are qualifying based on education, submit a copy of your college transcript that lists college courses detailing each course by the number and department (i.e., bio 101, math 210, etc.), course title, number of credit hours and grade earned. You must submit evidence that any education completed in a foreign institution is equivalent to U.S. education standards with your resume. You may submit an unofficial copy of the transcript at the initial phase of the application process. If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
Note: Your college transcript is used to verify successful completion of degree, or college course work. An official college transcript will be required before you can report to duty.
Applicants must meet ALL application requirements, to include a complete online resume, by 11:59 p.m. EASTERN TIME (ET) on the closing date of this announcement.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at: https://www.opm.gov/policy.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS: This position has a positive Education Requirement in addition to at least one year of Specialized Experience OR substitution of education for experience OR combination (if applicable) in order to be found minimally qualified. Transcripts must be submitted with your application package. You MUST meet the following requirements:
To qualify for the 1301 series:
A. Degree: physical science, engineering, or mathematics that included 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience: education equivalent to one of the majors shown in A above that included at least 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
This experience need not have been in the federal government. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations e.g., professional; philanthropic, religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies; knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
To qualify at the ZP‐2 or GS‐07 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZP‐1 or GS‐05 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Assisting in processing, analyzing, and producing hydrographic data acquisition products and surveys used for producing up‐to‐date nautical charts; and
- Participating in the testing and evaluation of new hydrographic systems and using industry standard software to manipulate map data.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: One full year of graduate-level education.
SUPERIOR ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT: Demonstrated by a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with one of the following. NOTE It is your responsibility to ensure your application clearly states how you meet one of the provisions below:
- A grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for all completed undergraduate courses, or those completed in the last 2 full years of undergraduate study;
- A GPA of 3.5 or higher based on a 4.0 scale for required courses completed in a major field of study, or those courses completed in a major field of study during the last two years of undergraduate study;
- Class standing of upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision of the college;
- Membership in a national Scholastic Honor Society certified by the Association of College honor Societies, excluding freshman honor societies.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: A combination of graduate level education and specialized experience.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR FOR THE ZP-2: Applicants must demonstrate experience in assisting with hydrographic survey data acquisition and processing. Your application materials must clearly demonstrate this. Failure to do so will result in your application being marked as ineligible.
To qualify at the ZP‐3 or GS‐11 level:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements above, applicants must also possess one full year (52 weeks) of specialized experience equivalent to the ZP‐2 or GS‐09 in the Federal service. Specialized experience MUST include all of the following:
- Processing, analyzing, and producing hydrographic data acquisition products, datasets, and surveys used for producing up‐to‐date nautical charts;
- Providing input, drafting technical procedures, and implementing new policy to ensure continuous process improvement pertaining to hydrography;
- Testing and evaluating new hydrographic systems and new software and systems; and
- Compiling maps, charts, smooth sheets, or other cartographic products from hydrographic and bathymetric data.
SUBSTITUTION OF EDUCATION: 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: An equivalent combination of graduate level education and specialized experience is qualifying. NOTE: Only graduate level education in excess of two years is qualifying for a combination of education and experience.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR FOR THE ZP-3: Applicants must demonstrate experience performing hydrographic surveys and processing hydrographic data products for application to the nautical chart. Your application materials must clearly demonstrate this. Failure to do so will result in your application being marked as ineligible.