This position is that of the Head, Department of Humanities, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, N.Y. The Academy, one of the five Federal Academies, is a degree granting institution accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Upon graduation, Midshipmen (male and female) are awarded Bachelor of Science degrees, credentialed as Merchant Marine Officers by the U.S. Coast Guard, and commissioned as officers in the U.S. Armed Forces.Learn more about this agency
As an Director of Humanities, you will:
Serve as the Department Head, responsible for the administration of the department and exercises the same educational and personnel responsibilities within the department as rests with the Academic Dean for the Faculty as a whole. Accountable to the Academic Dean and Provost.
- Leading and establishing a good working rapport with members of the department, other academic departments, and the Academy administration and management.
- As a supervisor, exercises delegated responsibility for selection, assignment, and management of subordinate personnel to include planning and directing the work of; performance evaluation; training and professional development
- Keeping faculty members informed of changes in Academy policies, procedures, and professional expectations
- Developing and recommending educational policies; analyzing and evaluating education data, practices, and trends to improve delivery of course instruction
- Ensuring that departmental course offerings, instructional programs, student counseling programs, and other activities are up-to-date, properly scheduled, effectively taught, supported with necessary equipment and services, and periodically reviewed and evaluated.
- Submitting budget proposals and administering the approved budget; soliciting contracted teaching support – especially tutors and adjuncts; handling routine business of the department
- Assessing departmental and general education programs and learning outcomes in support of Academy institutional learning goals.
Ideal Candidate: The candidate must be a highly motivated and experienced professional possessing a Doctorate degree in a discipline as set forth in the educational requirements with teaching experience at the rank of Associate Professor or higher, and with supervisory experience in higher education administration. Must also possess integrity, stamina, and ingenuity, and be capable of adjusting to various work environments to include on-line and e-learning platforms.
Note: If selected, the candidate will be hired at either the Associate Professor or Professor rank.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/566230800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.