This position is located in Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Emerging Pests and Pathogens Research Unit, in Ithaca, NY.Learn more about this agency
The incumbent serves as Curator of ASEF collection and leverages collection for fundamental, translational, and applied research. The fungal strains are a resource for studying important questions involving, systematics, host-pathogen interaction, insect pathology, microbial control using fungi, vector biology, natural products chemistry, genomics, and functional genomics.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and oversee service activities culture collection including acquisition, maintenance, characterization, evaluation, and distribution of fungal isolates and associated information to scientists and other users.
- Collect, or acquire entomopathogenic fungal germplasm in response to the programmatic interests needs expressed by users and stakeholders.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and oversee collection increase in the laboratory and cryogenic storage.
- Perform required background investigations, appropriate experimental and statistical designs, executes plans, and presents findings.
- Use a variety of database and software including 4D for updating and tracking fungal isolates.
- Oversees database development, updating, and management to enhance inventory control, enable researchers to identify desired strains, and facilitate fulfillment of customer requests for germplasm.
- Select appropriate methods and procedures or devises and recommends alternative methods of standardized analysis to solve problems.
- Oversee the work of temporary personnel; undergraduate students; Post Docs, volunteers; and visiting scientists.
- Provide technical and administrative supervision to assigned support personnel.
- As required, travel and work with other countries in working through agreements in the exchange of information relating to the active collection.
- Coordinates the full use of all pertinent information in the computer network by keeping all data current and by providing information as needed by scientists in the user community.
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/564031600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.