Health Technicians will be assigned to interested facilities throughout VHA in support of COVID-19 operations and may be temporarily appointed (not-to-exceed 120 days) on an intermittent, part-time, or full-time schedule in support of the VA facilities across the Nation.Learn more about this agency
Please note: Applicants are limited to selecting no more than 3 duty locations at which they would like to be considered for employment.
NOTE: This is a TEMPORARY appointment (not-to-exceed 120 days). This appointment may be renewed for additional service in accordance with Agency needs for 1 additional year. Temporary positions offer health insurance (if the employee is expected to work at least 130 hours per month for at least 90 days) but do not offer life insurance or retirement benefits and may be terminated at any time before the expiration date. The appointment to a Temporary position does not confer eligibility for promotion or reassignment to other positions or the ability to be non-competitively converted to permanent employment.
The position of Health Technician provides clinical and administrative support in a wide variety of patient care and related activities. The purpose of this position is to be a productive team member carrying out and ensuring quality and timely delivery of care. This position requires the personal qualities, desire, and attitude necessary to adapt to rapidly changing demands on time and workload and have necessary skills to perform specific tasks/tests/procedures to meet patient healthcare.
Major Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Obtains and documents patients' vital signs (blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiration, weight, oxygen saturation, and postural vital signs) and recognizes and reports abnormal values to RN.
- Initiates cardiac monitoring correctly and is able to admit/discharge patients form monitoring system and print rhythm strips.
- Performs venipuncture to obtain serum blood samples as ordered, urine dipstick testing, finger stick blood glucose testing, point of care troponin testing, and foley catheter insertions and irrigations and documents and reports results according to policy and procedure and takes appropriate action for critical values.
- Moves, lifts, transfers, and transports patients as necessary using proper equipment and correct transfer techniques.
- Assis with answering call lights, comfort measures, and provision of fluids/food to patients as needed.
- Performs sterile dressing changes, ace bandage application, boot application, suture removal, application of heat/cold as ordered.
- Works with the RN staff to prioritize patients with acute medical needs and institute timely interventions.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Varies, based on the needs of the facility.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not Required
Physical Requirements: The work requires the Health Technician to be mobile throughout the Emergency Department and medical center as needed, involving standing, walking, bending, pushing, and lifting (moderately heavy). The Health Technician should be capable of prolonged standing/walking and be physically capable of pushing equipment, wheelchairs, and patient stretcher.
The work environment is a specialty unit within the hospital where it is absolutely necessary that medical and technical aseptic techniques be strictly followed to prevent the exposure and/or cross contamination of potentially pathogenic organisms. Use of safety shoes (non-skid), goggles, mask, and gloves to avoid contact/exposure to blood/body fluids is expected. The work environment involves risk typically associated with exposure to blood/body fluids.
Occasional travel - Health Technicians will be assigned to VA facilities within their local commuting area/self identified locations, unless need is expanded to other locations in which case Health Technicians will be provided lodging, meals, travel, and incidental expenses.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563921800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.