The Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Planetary Geology, Geophysics, Geochemical Laboratory is seeking a Research Space Scientist to provide expertise in the analysis of planetary spacecraft radiometric tracking data and apply it to a wide range of geophysical studies.Learn more about this agency
- Engages in professional scientific and engineering work that is systematic, critical, intensive investigation directed towards discovering and applying new or expanded knowledge in the professional field of Space Science.
- Applies the principles and techniques of geophysics in the investigation and interpretation of planetary spacecraft radiometric tracking data with applications to a wide range of geophysical studies.
- Monitors contracted work, either externally or on-site in the facility of the contractor.
- Independently formulates research plans and hypotheses and conducts research in the analysis of planetary spacecraft radio signals for precision orbit determination and planetary gravity field determination.
- Performs measurement modeling and the development of innovative inversion techniques and the development of novel techniques for spacecraft instrument modeling, data reduction and analysis.
- Applies the above techniques to develop value-added products e.g., crustal thickness, crustal density, internal structure, and localized gravity representations.
- Develops the techniques and tools necessary for these investigations, e.g., computer code, sensors, mission concepts, and instrumentation used in experiments.
- Explores and defines complex problems, analyzes data, interprets results, and disseminates science results through publication in technical reports, requirements documents, or professional papers, invited talks, and presentations at conferences.
- Develops successful research proposals in response to NASA solicitations.
- Leads the development of new mission concepts and proposals for next generation space geodetic missions, including satellite gravity and altimetry missions for Solar System bodies.
- Contributes to the definition of mission science objectives, instrumentation and data analysis.
- Duties described above are for full-performance level. Duties assigned at a lower grade level will be of<br>more limited scope, performed with less independence and limited complexity; duties will be commensurate with the grade of selected employee.
Occasional travel - Travel may be required for training or other work-related duties
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/563566700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.