Explore a new career with the BLM - where our people are our greatest natural resource.
For additional information about the BLM, please visit our website.
This position is located in Rawlins, Wyoming. Information about the surrounding area may be found here: www.rawlins-wyoming.comLearn more about this agency
The purpose of the position is to provide leadership and oversight of wildland fire suppression/management/control, as a seasoned, experienced firefighter on a helitack crew.
- Provide oversight and leadership of wildland fire suppression/management/control, as a seasoned, experienced firefighter on a helitack module.
- Assures that needed tools and equipment are available for firefighting tasks.
- May serve as a rappeller or short hauler or spotter.
- Provides technical and administrative supervision to wildland fire helitack crews.
- Plans work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjusts short term priorities, and prepares schedules for completion of the work.
- Responsible for formal and informal training programs to comply with policy and regulations.
- May assist in the preparation of hazardous fuels treatment plans and burn plans based on the predicted fire behavior and risk assessment.
Physical Demands: Arduous - Duties involve rigorous fieldwork requiring above average physical performance, endurance and superior conditioning. Work requires prolonged standing, walking over uneven ground, and recurring bending, reaching, lifting and carrying of items weighing over 50 pounds. Duties include demands for strenuous activities in emergencies under adverse environmental conditions and over extended periods of time.
Work Environment: The work is primarily performed in forest and range environments in steep terrain where surfaces may be extremely uneven, rocky, covered with vegetation, and in smoky conditions, etc. Temperatures vary from above 100 degrees F to below freezing. Risks include smoke inhalation, fire entrapment, snake or insect bites and stings, exposure to excessive machinery noise, and falling and rolling material. May be required to live in backcountry camps for extended periods of time.
50% or less - Frequent travel will be required during peak fire activity.
07 - If filled at a lower grade level, subsequent promotion to the next grade level will be processed without further competition dependent upon administrative approval and the continuing need and performance of higher-level duties.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/561814800. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.