This position is located on the staff of the Collections, Exhibition and Programs Officer (P) in the Library Reader Services Department (PL-R) of the National Gallery of Art (NGA). The purpose of this position is to oversee and provide a variety of interlibrary loan (ILL) services as well as reference and reader services to NGA curatorial and administrative staff, CASVA staff and fellows, and organizations and individuals outside the Gallery.Learn more about this agency
Provides interlibrary loan (ILL) services to NGA staff and CASVA fellows and to other research institutions. Duties include:
- Providing orientations regarding ILL services and procedures
- Processing loan requests to and from libraries (including with the Library of Congress) following ALA and NGA Library policies
- Searching online and manual bibliographic resources to verify citations and determine potential loan sources
- Determining suitability and condition of NGA Library materials requested for loans
- Maintaining working relationships with peers in partner institutions
- Training and overseeing the daily work of one or two ILL technicians and volunteers assigned to the ILL section
- Assisting with development of ILL procedures and policies based on current professional library standards
Provides reference services to NGA staff, CASVA fellows, and outside readers. Duties include:
- Discussing research needs of potential readers and explaining library resources, procedures, and policies
- Admitting and conducting library orientations for new outside readers
- Answering reference questions received in person, by telephone, and by mail
- Providing guidance to staff and outside readers in use of the Library’s online and printed resources
- Conducting literature searches for NGA staff and CASVA fellows
- Assisting with preparation and presentation of the Reader Services department’s orientation and training materials (oral, written, web-based).
Organizes and maintains ILL and reference office files and prepares related reports. Duties include:
- Maintaining ILL statistics, transaction files and other records (invoices, expenditures, correspondence)
- Organizing and maintaining reference office files
- Compiling and presenting statistics related to reference services.
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/560443600. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.