The Statistician functions as a SAS(Statistical Analysis Software) Programmer with duties that involve SAS program development, and SQL coding, and script writing for the Cooperative Studies Program(CSP) at Veterans Affairs Healthcare System in West Haven, Connecticut. Expert SAS programming knowledge and experience in a professional environment is required. Clinical trials experience preferred but not required.Learn more about this agency
- Develop SAS programs to support data management and statistical data analysis for clinical trials that involve collecting and validating human subject data over potentially long periods of time.
- Develop SAS programs to be used as part of a larger system to support multiple clinical trials.
- Design and implement SAS and SQL databases to support data quality monitoring and statistical analysis of clinical trial data.
- Provide Study Team(s) and other SAS Programmers documentation on efficient coding and testing procedures and implementation of specific programming techniques.
- Provide training and guidance to users in the use and maintenance of in-house developed data processing systems.
- Mentor junior SAS programmers.
- Determine techniques used to facilitate transfer of data between SAS and other software packages running on different computing platforms.
- Develop automated procedures for data processing and report production.
- Develop benchmarks for use by other SAS Programmers and applications developers in evaluating the accuracy of test plans and test data.
- Update, test and evaluate software releases and ensure that all software related initiatives are executed in conformance with appropriate policies and standards.
- Organize and maintain system documentation in compliance with department Standard Operating Procedures.
- Informal mentoring of junior team members.
Compressed/Flexible: Not Available
Telework: Available, as determined by agency policy
Virtual: Not a virtual position
Position Description/PD#s: Statistician, GS-1530-12, 689-02331-A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Available
Financial Disclosure: Not Required
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this job
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- May serve a probationary period
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- A complete application package; Resume, Transcripts, etc.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement, 02/18/2020.
Time-In-Grade Requirement GS-12: Current and former Federal employees who have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks must also meet time-in-grade requirements. For a GS-12 position you must have served 52 weeks at the GS-11. The grade may have been in any occupation, but must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your application materials. Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA) appointment.
INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS(IOR's)
A. Degree: that includes 15 semester hours in statistics (or in mathematics and statistics, provided at least 6 semester hours were in statistics), and 9 additional semester hours in one or more of the following: physical or biological sciences, medicine, education, or engineering; or in the social sciences including demography, history, economics, social welfare, geography, international relations, social or cultural anthropology, health sociology, political science, public administration, psychology, etc. Credit toward meeting statistical course requirements should be given for courses in which 50 percent of the course content appears to be statistical methods, e.g., courses that included studies in research methods in psychology or economics such as tests and measurements or business cycles, or courses in methods of processing mass statistical data such as tabulating methods or electronic data processing. OR,
B. Combination of education and experience: courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. The experience should have included a full range of professional statistical work such as (a) sampling, (b) collecting, computing, and analyzing statistical data, and (c) applying statistical techniques such as measurement of central tendency, dispersion, skewness, sampling error, simple and multiple correlation, analysis of variance, and tests of significance.
In addition to the individual occupational requirements. You must qualify based on your experience and/or education as described below:
Specialized experience GS-12: One year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-11 grade level in Federal service, to successfully perform all the duties of this position under minimal supervision and with minimal guidance and oversight. Examples of specialized experience include the following:
- Demonstrated proficiency/expert knowledge in SAS coding and skill in applying statistical, analytic and evaluative methods and techniques to issues or clinical trials concerning the efficiency and effectiveness of program operations.
- Knowledge of a wide range of design/diagnostic tools, applications software development principals and methods sufficient to participate in the design, development, testing, and implementation of new or modified applications software.
- Knowledge and skill in applying applications software principles and methods; statistical programming languages; and technical documentation methods and procedures sufficient to support the existing applications software.
- Knowledge and skill in applying database design/management and statistical concepts and principles sufficient to ensure compliance with data management standards; and recommend new or modified standards to increase efficiency, recommend performance enhancements such as increasing storage capacity or modifying interfaces.
- Knowledge of computer hardware and software resources and awareness of current developments in the data management field to provide assistance and recommendations in the selection of possible alternatives in the development of required data management support for agency organizations.
- Experience with policies, operating procedures and data security practices in government agencies and the private sector sufficient to ensure applications are consistent with the current and planned infrastructure and data environments.
- Knowledge of computer methods and numerical analysis, computer logic and mathematics.
- Knowledge of current statistical packages, including SAS (PC and UNIX versions), SQL, and PC applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, SharePoint, PowerPoint, and relational database software.
- Awareness of standard of procedures as it pertains to the clinical trial management.
- Intermediate ability to communicate a clear, logical and concise explanation of information both orally and in writing in order to present statistical data management procedures to the study team and nationally at annual study meetings.
- Ability to work independently on multiple projects and prioritize tasks to meet conflicting deadlines.
Education: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree.
Combination of Doctoral Education and Specialized Experience: For this level, only doctoral education combined with GS-11 level specialized experience may be used to qualify. Education and experience will be calculated as a percentage and must equal at least 100 percent.
You will be rated on the following Competencies:
- Technical Competence - Understands and appropriately applies procedures, requirements, regulations, and policies related to specialized expertise (for example, engineering, physical science, law, or accounting); maintains credibility with others on technical matters.
- Self-Management - Sets well-defined and realistic personal goals; displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments in a timely manner; works with minimal supervision; is motivated to achieve; demonstrates responsible behavior.
- Software Development - Knowledge of the principles, methods, and tools for designing, developing, and testing software in a given environment.
- Data Management - Knowledge of the principles, procedures, and tools of data management, such as modeling techniques, data backup, data recovery, data dictionaries, data warehousing, data mining, data disposal, and data standardization processes.
- Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Writing - Recognizes or uses correct English grammar, punctuation, and spelling; communicates information in a succinct and organized manner; produces written information, which may include technical material, that is appropriate for the intended audience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: The work is primarily sedentary (sitting at desk or computer), although some slight physical effort may be required. At times, the work may require the ability to travel. Effective oral and written communication are essential to present: (a) study procedures and updates at study related meetings, (b) statistical results, (c) facilitate and/or lead study related meetings and (d) participate in CSP management, general staff meetings, and quality management meetings and quality audits.
A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement). Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
VA supports the use of telework as a way to help attract and retain talented individuals in public service, increase worker productivity, and better prepare the agency to operate during emergencies. This position may be authorized for telework. Telework eligibility will be discussed during the interview process.
The Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) provide eligible displaced VA competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies. To be well-qualified, applicants must possess experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors if applicable, and must be proficient in most of the requirements of the job. Information about ICTAP and CTAP eligibility is on OPM's Career Transition Resources website which can be found at https://www.opm.gov/.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Applicants will be referred in alphabetical order.
Resume - All applicants are required to submit a resume either by creating one in USAJOBS or uploading one of their own choosing. To receive full credit for relevant experience, please list the month/year and number of hours worked for experience listed on your resume. We suggest that you preview the online questions, as you may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions.
Transcript - All applicants are required to submit proof of education. Your transcript must include the date that the degree was conferred. Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application.
Documents Accepted but not require by all applicants:
Please review the above list(s) to ensure you have included all necessary documents required for your application. Not every applicant will require the same documents, therefore it is the applicants responsibility to ensure that their application package includes all necessary documents to determine qualifications and eligibility for appointment, such as a copy of your SF-50, transcript, ICTAP/CTAP documentation (for displaced Federal employees).You will not be contacted for additional information. Applicants will be deemed ineligible if supporting documentation is not submitted.
Veterans' Preference: Since the Direct-Hire Recruitment Authority is being used, traditional Veterans' Preference rules do not apply. Qualified veterans will, however, be given full consideration for this position.
Applications are accepted online. Applying online will allow you to review and track the status of your application.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online.
To apply for this position, you must complete the occupational questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 02/18/2020 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10720325.
1. To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USAJOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
2. Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date. To verify your application is complete, log into your USAJOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the More Information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process.
To return to an incomplete application, log into your USAJOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USAJOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
NOTE: Participation in the seasonal influenza program is a condition of employment and a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP). HCP are individuals who, during the influenza season, work in VHA locations where patients receive care or who come into contact with VA patients as part of their duties. VHA locations include, but are not limited to, VA hospitals and associated clinics, community living centers (CLCs), community-based outpatient clinics (CBOCs), domiciliary units, Vet centers and VA-leased facilities. HCP include all VA licensed and unlicensed, clinical and administrative, paid and unpaid, full- and part-time employees, intermittent employees, fee basis employees, VA contractors, students, researchers, volunteers, and trainees who work at these facilities. HCP that are unable to receive or otherwise decline a flu shot will be expected to wear a face mask throughout the influenza season.
Agency contact information
AddressWest Haven VA Medical Center
950 Campbell Avenue
West Haven, CT 06516
After the vacancy announcement closes, applicants are evaluated to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Legal and regulatory guidance
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/559176700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.