This position serves as the General Counsel at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation (PBGC or Corporation), providing advice and counsel to the Director of PBGC in a fast-paced environment. The position reports to the Director and serves as Secretary to the Board of Directors, which is comprised of the Secretaries of Labor (Chairperson), Commerce, and Treasury.Learn more about this agency
- Represent the Corporation in litigation concerning disputes over labor and employment, procurement, Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act matters, bankruptcy and matters related to the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA).
- Manage a staff composed of attorneys, professionals, and support staff in providing legal advice and conducting litigation in general support of the Corporation. Set goals, assign work, evaluate performance, and ensure staff has adequate resources.
- Exercise authority over legal tasks of PBGC's ERISA functions including bankruptcy/legal actions; representing PBGC on matters before courts/administrative tribunals; communicating with underfunded plan sponsors; involvement in regulatory matters.
- Review all proposed legal actions for the Director's approval, including commencement and disposition of litigation and decisions whether to appeal adverse rulings; promulgation of regulations; and legislative proposals.
- Review all major and/or novel procurements.
- Review the Corporation's financial reports to ensure legal requirements are met, recommending appropriate changes, and influencing adoption of changes or new methods of reporting required information.
- Oversee the Corporation's Designated Agency Ethics Official (DAEO), providing key leadership to the Corporation's Ethics program, interpreting and providing guidance on program provisions and statutes.
Occasional travel - 10%
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/558051300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.