The ideal candidate will have experience in the administrative responsibilities and communication oversight during disaster responses, exercise, and Department of Homeland Security (DHS) activation. This position starts at a salary of $59,534 (GS-09), with promotion potential to $86,335 (GS-12). Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Office of External Affairs, Disaster Operations team within FEMA.
View common definitions of terms found in this announcement.Learn more about this agency
When disaster strikes, America looks to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). Now FEMA looks to you. Join our team and use your talent to support Americans in their times of greatest need. FEMA prepares the nation for all hazards and manages Federal response and recovery efforts following any national incident. We foster innovation, reward performance and creativity, and provide challenges on a routine basis with a well-skilled, knowledgeable, high performance workforce. Please visit www.fema.gov for additional information.
EMERGENCY ASSIGNMENT: Every FEMA employee has regular and recurring emergency management responsibilities, though not every position requires routine deployment to disaster sites. All positions are subject to recall around the clock for emergency management operations, which may require irregular work hours, work at locations other than the official duty station, and may include duties other than those specified in the employee's official position description. Travel requirements in support of emergency operations may be extensive in nature (weeks to months), with little advance notice, and may require employees to relocate to emergency sites with physically austere and operationally challenging conditions.
In this position you will be responsible for identifying and developing appropriate reporting mechanisms to support External Affairs communication during response activities; compile and distribute reports on a punctuated time line for the Office of External Affairs. Typical duties include:
- Collecting and analyzing data to provide an operational overview of External Affairs activities; support the development of products based on information; present findings to internal and external audience.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with interagency partners for the purpose of information sharing and collaboration on projects.
- Facilitating video and telephone conferences with interagency partners, field staff, and regional staff during disaster response, functional exercises, and other DHS activations.
- Representing the Agency and Office of External Affairs during events and activities by providing administrative and communications support to employees from other federal agencies.
- Developing and implementing processes and procedures based on established policies and guidelines; analyze for effectiveness and make recommendations for streamlining complex processes.
- Updating information on Disaster Operations SharePoint site in support of Office of External Affairs and field staff.
Promotion Potential: Future promotions will be dependent on your ability to perform the duties at a higher level, the continuing need for an employee assigned to the higher level, and administrative approval.
Occasional travel - This position may require non-emergency travel (5%)
Job family (Series)
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/556328300. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.